Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, after Drifting away from the 80's Hair Metal, ive decided i want to use my RG For Shred - Think Steve Vai, Satriani, Paul Gilbert, DragonForce, Sonata Arctica Type Power Metal- and Thrash Metal like MegaDeth on Occasion.

Ive already Decided on an Evo for the Neck, but im caught for the bridge. Should i just get the Evo for that too, or is it to Smooth for Rythm Playing? Thanks for any help!!

Also, Can i Buy a whole set including the Middle Coil, For less than the cost of the two Pickups Seperate Perhaps? (if i get both Evos) Its probobly a long shot for it to be cheaper, though :p

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Evo2 man, the best for shredding pup at the moment. Awesome high, no ice pick, tight bass and awesome mid. What more can you ask for in a pickup? ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
evo 2
paf pro
steves special
and many,many others will do the shred thing dude
it is MORE up to the player than it is the pu
I can shred on ANY pup and i am not being egotistical
i think the guitar/amp is a bit more important than the pup

·
Registered
563 Posts
A lot of DiMarzio's pickups are great for shred. It depends on the individual tone you're looking for. Just a generic list, the Breed bridge, D-Sonic, Evolution bridge and Evo2, Steve's Special, Super3, Tone Zone, FRED, Norton, and PAF Pro are all great bridge pickups for use with shredding.

From the bands you listed, it sounds like a PAF Pro, Evolution bridge, or Evo2 sound like the best fit. PAF Pro is a great pickup, awesome overall all-around pickup with great definition. The Evolution bridge model is very shrill and (as best described by others) ice pick-y, but if you handle it correctly it will BURN! The Evo2 is the Evolution bridge, but with Virtual Vintage technology. Because of this, it's got great harmonic content and is still a hot pickup, but is rounded off more and a little more tame. It will clean up a lot better.

To clarify two things: you're confusing neck and bridge models. For both the Breed and the Evolution, there is a neck and bridge model. Check out dimarzio's website for more details.

Also, you can't buy pickups as a "set" (H-H, H-S-H). You buy them separately, and put them all together. So you're going to pay the same price for a pickup no matter what, the only major price differences are if you want colored pickups (anything other than double cream, double black, or black/cream) and/or if you want a pickup cover.

Out of the artists you mentioned:
-Vai uses the Evolution neck and bridge (respectively) along with the Evolution single coil in the middle. He also uses the Breed neck and bridge models for a thicker, warmer, and fatter sound. He used PAF Pros until Passion and Warfare, when he switched to using Universes and hence the Blaze pickups, and then starting with Alien Love Secrets/Fire Garden he started using JEMs, and Evolutions/Breeds, more often.
-Paul Gilbert uses PAF Pros. He also likes the Tone Zone, and used Super Distortions wired in parallel during his Racer X days.
-Joe Satriani uses the PAF Joe in the neck and the FRED in the bridge. In the early days he used PAF Pros in both the neck and bridge.
-Dragonforce uses Evolutions.
-Megadeath- Dave Mustaine has a signature set of Seymour Duncan active pickups.

Overall, I think you should do the Evolution set based on what you've said.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
For what you're describing, I'd say get the Evo Neck, Evo middle (ISCV2) and the Evo2 bridge. If you're doing mostly solo style playing I think you'll be very happy with that combo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I Dont understand what you meen by me mixing up the neck and bridge models, i know theres Two Different Pickups. i Just already know im buying the neck Evo for the neck. is that what you ment?

And thank you to everyone, i Liked the sound clips on DiMarzio's site, and most videos on youtube ive seen of the Evo Bridge. Never heard a clip of Evo2 though, so ill deffinitly Check that out. Not a huge fan of Breeds or Steves Special though haha

·
Registered
72 Posts
I Dont understand what you meen by me mixing up the neck and bridge models, i know theres Two Different Pickups. i Just already know im buying the neck Evo for the neck. is that what you ment?

And thank you to everyone, i Liked the sound clips on DiMarzio's site, and most videos on youtube ive seen of the Evo Bridge. Never heard a clip of Evo2 though, so ill deffinitly Check that out. Not a huge fan of Breeds or Steves Special though haha
the evo2 is better if you prefer a bit more warmth and a little less tightness
the EVO original is best for screaming(and i mean SCREAMING!) tones that are super tight,aggressive,and in yer face

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the evo2 is better if you prefer a bit more warmth and a little less tightness
the EVO original is best for screaming(and i mean SCREAMING!) tones that are super tight,aggressive,and in yer face
Screaming Tones FTW! Haha, im Not really worried about the Solo tones from the Evo (except on one video i heard it pop alot, dunno if it was because it was in a 200$ Starter Guitar though)

But what about Rythm? Ive only heard it used Extensively on DragonForce Rythms. I like the tone, but can it do other Power metal, and NWOBHM (Iron Maiden) And Thrash (No Slayer, mostlly Stuff like Sympony of Destruction) Rythms Decently?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i Must Say, the Evo2 Is Winning me Over. Its Deffinitly between that and a Regular Evo now for sure. Does anyone know any Vai Songs or songs by other bands that use the Evo2?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Screaming Tones FTW! Haha, im Not really worried about the Solo tones from the Evo (except on one video i heard it pop alot, dunno if it was because it was in a 200$ Starter Guitar though)

But what about Rythm? Ive only heard it used Extensively on DragonForce Rythms. I like the tone, but can it do other Power metal, and NWOBHM (Iron Maiden) And Thrash (No Slayer, mostlly Stuff like Sympony of Destruction) Rythms Decently?
the EVO is just plain EVIL bro and will do ANY metal rhythm tones trust me!
it is kind of like a passive EMG 81 but better!
if you want the megadeth rhythm/lead tones go with a DUNCAN JB dave and marty used the JB exclusively on the older stuff

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well i Must Say, the Evo2 Is Winning me Over. Its Deffinitly between that and a Regular Evo now for sure. Does anyone know any Vai Songs or songs by other bands that use the Evo2?
Vai doesn't use the Evo2, it was really just designed as an Evo that cleaned up more and got rid of some shrillness. All DiMarzio really did was add Virtual Vintage technology.

The sound clips on DiMarzio's site will give you a good idea of what an Evo2 sounds like.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, ive been thinking about it and aside from all the really high gain shred stuff i do play more...calm music :p So do you thinka set of Breeds will cover me? My amp is pretty trebly as is so i though a Breed might be able to counter act that a bit, and still be great for leads and rythms. Im going to be buying (or at least, trying, incase GC in syracuse doesnt have them) This weekend so i though i might as well ask again here.

Plus Andy F'ing Timmons uses breeds!! haha

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Go acoustic and forget all this stupid pickup talk. We can see your having trouble making up your mind.

*waves hand* these arn't the pickups you are looking for now move along.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
the evolution has an extermly tight bass responce and the highs can get shrill. I am in the process of trading for an evo 2 but i dont care for the evolution.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts