Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am using a Voodoo Labs preamp without an FX loop, so I've been running the signal like this:

GUITAR >> WAH, COMPRESSOR, DISTORTION >> VOODOO LABS PREAMP >> VOLUME PEDAL, CHORUS, DELAY, REVERB, NOISE GATE >> MESA/BOOGIE 50/50 >> MONO SPEAKER CAB

Only 1/2 of the 50/50 is working properly, so I'm only using 1/2 the amp. I just bought a Mesa/Boogie 20/20 (both sides work, thank you ;)) and now I need to figure out how to get the volume and mod FX into both sides of the signal. The path now looks like this (I didn't realize this until after I done did it).

GUITAR >> WAH, COMPRESSOR, DISTORTION >> VOODOO LABS PREAMP
(path splits in two)
| |
| V
| >> VOLUME PEDAL,CHORUS, DELAY, REVERB, NOISE GATE (to Mesa/Boogie)
| |
V V
MESA/BOOGIE 50/50 >> STEREO SPEAKER CAB

I might not have illustrated this well, but to reiterate, two paths (left & right) leave the Voodoo Labs one goes right to the power amp and the other thru the remaining FX.

The question is, can I get "both" signals through the FX?

My thoughts are these. I use one of the preamp outs and connect a 'Y' cable from the "out" of the last effect. Or I use a single "out" from the preamp and get an effect pedal with stereo outs one to go to each side of the power amp (none of my pedals have stereo outs).

I ask for your input. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am also open to constructive criticsm of my signal path.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Starting with "constructive criticisms of the signal path" the noise gate should be after the chorus. You shouldn't be gating delays or reverbs. Chorus is debatable, but since the delays are only microseconds it's fine. The volume pedal should be after the gate. Otherwise your gate will cut you off when the pedal is set low, or for volume swells.

As for the "stereo" operation, just get a "Y" cable like you said, and put it after all the effects. You'll basically have a mono rig with two outputs. That's what you have now. Or you could try putting the chorus pedal at the very end, after the "Y" cable, and only on one side. It would be post delay/reverb, and that's not ideal, but that way you could achieve a stereo image. Most combo amps that have stereo chorus achieve it by applying chorus to one side, while leaving the other side dry. But internally that comes before the reverb, and since you don't have stereo reverb, you'd need to put the chorus after it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but wouldnt you need a line buffer to split the signal into two without adversley affecting it?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Not really. You are cutting the signal, but its still at acceptable levels. It's much more necessary to have a buffer in the pre-effects stage. You don't want any splits during the dynamics portion of the signal. But once your tone is established, it can withstand a split. I've had splits in my rack gear at times and it's fine. Ideally, he'd have his last effect (at least) be a stereo effect device so you could get a stronger stereo send.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at either a Morley ABY switcher ($50) or an axess-electronics buffered splitter ($135) to split my post FX (mono) signal to both sides of my Mesa/Boogie 20/20. I'm interested in opinions as to which will be best. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Either is okay, like I said you could just use a Y cable. The Morley is passive and therefore the same as a Y cable but with lights and switches in between. So since a Y cable is $5-$15 I'd say get that instead. The Axess buffered splitter will work more efficiently, and be a fantastic tool that you can use later if you want to send your guitar to two amps or preamps or whatever. So if you can afford that, I'd say add that to your inventory now because you'll have some fun with it over time.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Frank. I tried a stereo-single to dual-mono Y. The guy at the quote/unquote guitar store said it would work. I was doubtful, but figured he knew what he was talking about. He didn't and it didn't. :|

Anyway, I get differing opinions on the Y-cable. Voodoo Amps says not to use a Y, but I'm waiting to hear back from Axess-Electronics. He says a Y might be fine.

I'm just trying to avoid buying, returning, and buying again if I can help it, especially where mail order is concerned. The S/H gets expensive. I'd get the axess in a heartbeat if I didn't spend almost all my gear money on the RG8670TV I was going to return but decided to keep. It's still sitting in the closet needing a set-up badly. :( (So, I have to be judicious in spending for a while.)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
So the guy that said stereo-dual mono would work is an idiot. You need a mono to dual mono Y cord. Even Radio Shack has them. They even have them in little pre-formed plastic adaptor types. Your budget concern is exactly why you should use the Y cable for now. Who knows? Maybe you'll get a stereo effects pedal someday soon and that will do the job. The reason someone will tell you not to use a Y is because it splits the signal. But once your signal has hit the preamp, it's of relatively little concern. You may have to turn the amp a little louder.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll order a decent one from MF - no radio shack! ;) I'll post again with results.

Yeah, he's a dope, but what does that make me? I knew better...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts