Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please recommend in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone - first post here. I have DNA #90, original owner from Dec. 2000 received as an xmas present from my wife. I plan to ask Vai to sign it
coming up here during his new tour. My question is: is there any additional value or provenance to signing the guitar itself vs., say the Certificate of Authenticity and a PIC with him? I bought the meet & greet package and have seen some of you guys just sign the cert and leave the guitar alone and other people sign the back of the headstock.What about signing the case to ensure it's a matched-set?

Is there a "standard" for this to "do it properly"? This is a guitar I've played the snot out of and it even has chips in the laquer from use. I'm not going to live forever and at some point my nephew will likely get this thing and probably sell it since he has no interest it anything like this. SO, I'd like it to be as "valuable" as possible down the road. I'd be fine signing the guitar - obviously I'm not concerned with some museum-quality unplayed trailer-queen but my concern there would be it wearing off. I'd also really not like to have to bring the guitar with me being so valuable where odds are def. not zero I may get a gun to my head for it. Is signing the certificate just as VAI-able? (tee-hee)

What is best practice for signing one of these?

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
I don't know that there's a "proper" way to do it, but for me signed on the back of the headstock is the only thing that would actually interest me. The certificate is nice, but is the first thing to get lost ;)

To be honest, I'm not even sure these days whether having the guitar signed would add that much value to the guitar these days as autographed instruments seem not to be as collectable as they once were.

Lovely guitar though :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don’t know, I think I would have him sign somewhere on the headstock, then you will still be able to play it. I have a few signed things, but not guitars. I would hope to get my Brian May replica signed as the guy who made it made a replica for the man himself. That would add some serious value to it for my son when I pass on.

Regardless of value added in terms of dollars, think off having such a memento and the story that goes with it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Vai has signed so much stuff, it won't add any value to the guitar, and some collectors would prefer there is not a signature on there at all.

If it is just for you, have him sign it where you want. It is not a value add, however.

I had him sign the certs for my 25th anniversary Universes during Generation Axe, due to the fact it might actually hurt resale to some collectors to have the guitars signed.

Best of Luck 🤘

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting - the hesitation to sign the actual guitar is something I share as well. The signature isn't what's most important, it's the fact I met him and he's the reason I started playing in the first place (Crossroads - I was 10). I'd like to have something marking that moment that also ties it to the DNA so I think the Cert will do - it's still unique and isn't something I could have just bought off someone else and said "yeah, I met him" - it has the #090 on the Cert and that guitar is mine, single-owner. I've heard plenty of people have issues with sigs fading and like I said, I play this thing as a main guitar. Maybe if i was going to put it away in a display case the rest of it's life signing the guitar itself makes the most sense but not in this case I don't think.

Thanks for the help ya'll - I'll ask him to sign the cert and maybe the inside of the backplate. I will at least know it's there and nobody else will...I could use the juju-boost of guitar godliness anyway knowing this vessel contains the blood of the artist and the artist himself was reunited with a long-lost part of himself. lol
..the crazy sh*t fans do, I tellya. :geek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts