Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever listen? he's a drummer that has some great players (andy timmons) on his fusion albums. i recently got "another lifetime" and am really impressed. most of his melodies consist of a guitar doubled with a sax. check out cduniverse dot com for some sound clips if you are interested in some well-written jazz fusion.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Check out Los Lobotomies - a project he did with Steve Lukather. Jeff Porcaro was on the first, more fusiony, CD but Simon took Jeff's place when Jeff died in the "bizarre gardening accident". The CD is called Candyman and it's got great songs on it. All killer, no filler.

It's melodic rock, good songs, not too much chops nonsense. A couple of Hendrix covers too. His version of Red House ends in a way that i think a lot of us here can relate to, but i won't give away the surprise. Defintely check it out!

~K

·
Registered
809 Posts
kennydoe said:
Check out Los Lobotomies - a project he did with Steve Lukather. Jeff Porcaro was on the first, more fusiony, CD but Simon took Jeff's place when Jeff died in the "bizarre gardening accident". The CD is called Candyman and it's got great songs on it. All killer, no filler.

It's melodic rock, good songs, not too much chops nonsense. A couple of Hendrix covers too. His version of Red House ends in a way that i think a lot of us here can relate to, but i won't give away the surprise. Defintely check it out!

~K
I thought Candyman was Lukather's solo album?

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
shredfreak said:
He had heart attack when he was spraying flowers in his garden. It's a shame that one of the best drummers in the world dies like that.:sad:
It was a Spinal Tap reference as well ;)

Bizarre gardening accident

The manner of original Tap drummer John "Stumpy" Pepys's death in 1969. The idea of the "bizarre gardening accident" has entered the language and the popular imagination. It is rumoured that Jeff Porcaro, the drummer of Toto, may in fact have died in this way in 1992, eight years after the release of This Is Spinal Tap. One theory has it that Porcaro was spraying insecticide in his garden and inhaled too much, triggering a fatal heart attack. Ironically, Toto's lead guitarist, Steve Lukather, served as producer and guitarist on Spinal Tap's Break Like the Wind in the same year.
Candyman was released under the name 'Los Lobotomys' in the US. What they did anyplace is else is not known to me.

Simon also toured with 'The Best' back in the late 80s/early 90s. Does anybody else remember this? It was a japan-only thing. It was Philips, Keith Emerson (ELP), John Entwhistle (Who), Jeff "Skunk" baxter (Steely Dan, among others) and Joe Walsh (Eagles) with some fluffy haired singer. THey did covers of all the respective bands of the members. i have it on video :)

Cheers!
~K

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
He's also played on at least one track with Vai. Anyone know what that is? (You get... absolutely NOTHING if you do!)

He's an amazing drummer. He played on Derek Sherinian's CDs too (ex Dream Theater keyboard player - makes some truly amazing and sick metal/fusion CDs).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.