Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to start a new thread but I'm not sure exactly who to ask for this-

I'm switching from 9-42 gauge strings to 9-46. How much of a truss adjustment should I make to compensate? Quarter turn, full turn, etc?

I'm horrible at gauging truss stuff. I'm scared sh*tless of the rod.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I don't know man, the basic rule is always make a quarter turn first and see what happens.

I always follow rich's tutorial for the neck relief, which is 0.03mm gap on 9th fret.
all you need to have is a filler gauge.

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
I lean more toward .2mm now.

One guitar can be very different from the next. One might take a bare tweak, one might require that 1/4 turn. Either way get out of diapers, put your training pants on, and don't be afraid to play with your rod 8O

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
the only guitar I can do with 0.02mm is the one that brand new and had PLEK.

all my Ibanez is 0.025- 0.03, below than that, it will need fret leveling and crowning, maybe?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I lean more toward .2mm now.

One guitar can be very different from the next. One might take a bare tweak, one might require that 1/4 turn. Either way get out of diapers, put your training pants on, and don't be afraid to play with your rod 8O
+1.

Put the strings on. Adjust your bridge if it needs it. Leave it and play it as is.

Check the relief after awhile, and then decide if it needs adjusting or not. If it does, do it slowly. Seeing as you've never done it before make a small change, let it sit. Then check it again the next day.

You'll get a feel for it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My truss is really stiff...

It raised my action kinda high, it's 2mm even on the 12th. Usually I keep it 1.8, 1.7

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
Chicks like stiff rods.

Guitar players don't.

It may be a sign of hyperstressed neck, which isn't that uncommon. Loosen it and back the nut off enough you can get some lube between it and the washer in a couple spots. Then wind it back down. There is no waiting with truss rods. It may change a hair in 24 hours but any change from the sit will be very small.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I almost put a thing in the first post saying "Rich is going to start up with the rod jokes"

And ok I'll try it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There is no waiting with truss rods. It may change a hair in 24 hours but any change from the sit will be very small.
Even for big changes?

I was always told, "make a small adjustment, then wait."

As in, you wouldn't tighten half a turn right off the bat. Or would you?

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
Even for big changes?

I was always told, "make a small adjustment, then wait."

As in, you wouldn't tighten half a turn right off the bat. Or would you?
Why are you waiting? Will it shoot you in the eye if you play with it too much?

In my experience any change it's going to continue to make is done before I'm finished working on it anyway, and is going to be very small. Read my page. Crank it into back bow, take all the tension off till it's loose, then straighten the neck to how you want it. Let it sit an hour and let me know how much it wanders. Then overnight. There's no point in waiting. It's like the guys that say "I put on new strings and let them sit overnight", why, were they tired and needed the rest? If a tech had to wait overnight to do anything nobodies guitar would ever get done. It's all wives tales and bad information.

That's what she said
Maybe it's time to let her out of the basement? 8O

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Fair point!

I just figured bending the wood "that much" wouldn't be too good. I'm afraid to hear the creaking and then splintering of the neck. But I guess that wouldn't happen anyway.

I have experienced a neck move over night with no adjustments or anything prior. Just a small weather change, and boom, action is different enough that I can feel it, tuning is out, and when tuned up intonation is out. But I put that down to the neck being made of crap wood/not done very well. At the time that kinda let me know that, hey, maybe there is something to the whole, "adjust the truss rod in increments" thing.

But I see your point. A well made neck should be able to take an adjustment and just be.

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
Overnight climate change is not factored into the equation. If everything remains the same, is.

If you have a problem neck that creaks, is tough to turn, I'm in no way recommending experimenting on it to see how much abuse it can take. Anything too tough to turn needs to be clamped into backbow to make truss adjustments [tighten], but you can loosen them without worry. But the lack of lube is probably what is causing the creaking to begin with.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Rich is pretty much covering all the bases here - between the tech section here and his excellent section at Ibanez Rules, there's a ton of information on the net and a (obviously) super knowledgeable group here.

It's intimidating at first, but go in there and try it - you're actually not really likely to hurt anything if you keep to small adjustments at first and don't try to force anything, and you'll learn a LOT.

Also:

My truss is really stiff...

It raised my action kinda high, it's 2mm even on the 12th. Usually I keep it 1.8, 1.7
I'd actually characterize that as still fairly low action. I haven't really measured where mine's set, but it's a bit higher than that - I could bring it down further but I think it's more comfortable in the 2-2.5mm range. Notes tend to "bloom" a little better, bending is easier, and it's still low enough that the guitar doesn't really slow me down when I play.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I used to keep it *at* 2mm exactly, but over time it started becoming a chore a bit and I didn't enjoy it that much. I lowered it by like .3 just to get it a bit more comfortable.

Something I noticed- in between jams Vai would give his guitar to Thomas for a tune up. One time he had Thomas bring out an Allen wrench, and steve just lowered the whole action by about half a crank. I was really suprised, I thought that it would be more of a process to let it then sit, then re-tune etc. but he just went back to playing. I tend to think that setups are very fragile and maybe I'm just wrong.

My truss rod is just very hard to move, I didn't want to force it.

Leaving it overnight- I was going to let the wood get used to the new tension, in hopes it would let the truss move a little more.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Something I noticed- in between jams Vai would give his guitar to Thomas for a tune up. One time he had Thomas bring out an Allen wrench, and steve just lowered the whole action by about half a crank. I was really suprised, I thought that it would be more of a process to let it then sit, then re-tune etc. but he just went back to playing. I tend to think that setups are very fragile and maybe I'm just wrong.
Absolutely not. :lol: As you get used to doing your own tech work you'll get a lot more comfortable with it.

In my experience, dropping the whole bridge with a quarter to half crank of an allen wrench will make a slight change to your tuning, but we're talking a couple cents, nothing too major. Ideally you do want to retune after adjusting your bridge height, but in the middle of a jam, ehh, you're probably still within the range at which vibrato will still mask any sliiiiiight pitch differences.

All that said - the first time you touch a truss rod, it's scary as hell, right? :) I was terrified I was going to eff up my whole guitar. Now I don't even think about it really.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts