Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  jclogston 
#1 ·
Hi everyone -
I need your help on this one. I just got a duncan jazz neck that i would like to install myself. I picked up a soldering iron etc... and have been practicing.
What i need now is a schematic for the following:

Duncan Distortion (b) / Duncan Jazz (n) with a push/push pot.
Should be simple enough.

I know I can probably just take my guitar apart and see inside but i always like to think ahead and envision what i need to (call it my anal retentiveness).

What i need is exactly what i'll be soldering (which colored wires to.....).

thanks in advance,

jeff

#2 ·
What exactly are you trying to achieve with the push-pull pot? Are you trying to wire it so that your push-pull becomes your pickup selector? (kinda like a George Lynch ESP or a Caparison Horus?) Or are you using it for coil taps or something alike those lines? If you're just going to wire it as a pickup selector what you would do is just this:

Both Pickups do this:
1. Solder the green & bare wires to ground
2. Solder the red & white wires together and insulate it.

Push-Pull (doesn't matter if it's a SDPT or DPDT as we're only using one side):
3. Wire the black wire from the bridge pickup to the bottom of three lugs on the push pull(Lug #3).
4. Wire the black wire from the neck pickup to the top of the three lugs on the push pull(Lug #1).
5. Run a wire from the center lug on the push-pull to the left lug on the pot itself.
6. Run a wire from the middle lug on the Pot to the output jack.

I know this may sound a bit confusing but I seriously wish someone would make some Visio Stencils for guitar wiring so I could doodle up some quick diagrams. (You know what.. that's EXACTLY what I'll have to do!!). Feel free to bug me if this wiring schematic is too confusing.

Cheers,

Budd

#3 ·
Hi buddroyce -
First thank you soo much. Once again you have helped me more than you can imagine.
Actually. I am using it to switch the pickups, so yes it would be like Lynch's setup or the horus.
Just a couple of questions for clarity:
1 - On my push/push pot (looking at it directly), there are three lugs on the top (i'm assuming these are for the volume) and then 2 colunms of three prongs (lack of a better word).
In steps 3 and 4, are you referring to the top three lugs or the bottom prongs?
2 - When you say ground, where do i solder this wire to? And can i solder the green and bare together then ground OR solder each individually to ground?
3 - I need to pick up wire from radio shack, what type do i need?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, it's going to be my first time in trying this. I'm excited but at the same time i want to think it through completely before dismantling my guitar.

thanks

jeff

#6 ·
Yep, that last one would be the correct wiring.

When I say ground the wires, you can ground them seperately or join them and then ground it. Either way, you get the same result. I find it easier just to join the green and bare and then just solder them to the back of a pot(just make sure that the pot itself is grounded). Don't worry too much about the specific wires you need from radio shack as long as it's some sort of useable wiring.

If you're rewiring a guitar with existing wiring just remember to resolder all the wires on the back of your old volume pot on the back/side of your push-pull pot. Let me know if you still have any other questions.

#7 ·
Thanks buddroyce -

I'll probably do it tomorrow as i just got home and still have to hit the gym tonight.

Seems like everything in place - i have the tools and the schematic (courtesy of you). Hopefully no problems.....

I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks!!!

jeff

#8 ·
Hi -
So I am in the middle of this, so far everything seems to be going. Will know when i string it up and hopefully hear something (and hopefully not noise).

Anyway, my wire from the output jack consists of a insulated wire and a bare wire. I'm assuming I solder the insulated wire to the middle top lug (in the diagram above) and the bare wire to the lug next to it (ground)?
Then I can solder a wire from ground (left top lug) to the side of the pot?

Then to ground everything, there are two wires - one i'm assuming is from the bridge and the other is from the body - I solder these two wires to the side of the pot?

thanks

jeff

#9 ·
Alright done,
But it doesn't work! I know i did something wrong. I accidentally got solder between the top left and top middle lug. So this might be the reason?
Also, the push/push pot I'm using is extremely small relative to the push/pull pot i replaced. It doesn't have lugs (with a loophole) but just a metal pin sticking out.

Please help!!!

jeff

#11 ·
Hi -
So i tried again today, this i used the push/pull pot that was originally there. and.....it worked...yeah me!!!
I'm getting another push/push pot which hopefully will be a bit larger than the one i had (see **** link above). Either way, I'm confident i can do it again.
Now it's time to evaluate the duncan jazz to see if it was worth all of this time...

thanks everyone for their help,

jeff

#15 ·
Hi all -
Though I'd share a pic of my guitar. Installed the new jazz in the neck and put in a push/push pot to switch between the neck and bridge pickups. Notice the cool knob (thanks buddroyce for the idea).
Also, i filled in the holes where the switch and tone knob used to be in the pickguard.

Enjoy....

#16 ·
Nice!!! Now only if you had White Pearloid binding on the guitar body like a UV777BK. (or you can fake it by using white sign vinyl and just stick it on... I saw a guy do that once, looked like a cool, reversable mod)

btw, how's it sound and are you getting used to the pickup switching?

#17 ·
Hi buddroyce -
The switching is pretty easy - just takes time to get used to it as i find myself unconsciously flicking my right hand when i want to change pickups (as if using a 3-way switch).

The distortion in the bridge, for my type of music, is great for both leads and rhythm, that is distorted. As for clean, i don't like it.
The jazz in the neck is what i use for all my clean leads and rhythm. The jazz holds its own under distortion but i still prefer the distortion for that.

I don't know if i would like the white pearl binding, would need to see a pic to decide. But you never know......

jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.