Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1374 Posts
1,164 Posts
IMPORTANT NOTE - Patrick Sims NO RELATION to Martin Sims the builder of Vai's LED guitar

The two just share a same background of guitar custom work and the same last name.

Swirled this today to ultimately sell. I really like the colors, but not sure if the swirl is good enough. So my question to you guys is should I leave it alone and go ahead and clear it & sell it, or do I need to wipe it clean with lacquer thinner and try for a better one?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/simscustomshop/RMCthree.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/simscustomshop/RMCswirlfour.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/simscustomshop/RMCswirlfive.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/simscustomshop/RMCswirlsix.jpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
Re: Sims Custom Shop Red Multi-Color Swirl

It's not bad. If you have the money, time, and supplies to re-swirl it then I'd give it another shot! It could be done better? I've never swirled or painted a guitar so I wouldn't know much about it.

·
Vendor
26,431 Posts

I think it's got a cool balance and vibe the way it is [although I like the back better than the front] ;)

·
Registered
537 Posts

I do like the coloring in the back more than the front, but it's a swirled Ibanez from Sims Custom Shop so I don't think it matters, good work!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts

Rich said:
[although I like the back better than the front] ;)
Yeah, that back is pretty sweet!

Not bad lookin at all Patrick:)

The white knobs go well. At first I was thinking maybe red, but after looking at it again, I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts

bonehead189 said:
but it's a swirled Ibanez from Sims Custom Shop so I don't think it matters, good work!
Just for clarification that's Sims Custom (USA)

Not to be confused with Sims Custom (UK)

Two different entities.

1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Rich said:
I think it's got a cool balance and vibe the way it is [although I like the back better than the front] ;)
Me too, and thats what I'd like to get....a swirl thats as good on the front as the back....but their unpredictable sometimes and its hard to know EXACTLY how their going to come out when you pull it of the water. Usually I know FOR SURE if its a keeper or not.....but this one's got me torn on if I should redo do it and try and make it better, or just sell it like it is and do another one.

1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

JJEMMER777 said:

Two different entities.
Thanks for the compliments, and yes, I definitely like the white knobs better than red. And for for further clarification we're NOT Sims Custom, we are Sims Custom Shop.....besides, the UK one doesn't do swirls. Don't know why anybody would be confused, it clearly says Chattanooga, TN under the user name.

·
Registered
537 Posts

JJEMMER777 said:

Two different entities.
I knew it was Sim's Custom Shop in Chattanooga, Tennesse (USA) :D Thanks for clearing it though.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts

i don't like red in guitars but leave it alone... looks great as-is :) ....glen

1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ok, leave it alone it is then, that seems to be what the majority of you are saying. I like the neon colors like Green, pink, etc better than the red, but I am just trying to do some variety. Some people don't like the 80ish neon swirls, some people like this, so I just try to keep that in mind and do some variety and change it up some.

Thanks everybody for the quick replies and compliments! I posted it, then jumped in the shower, come back out and I already had 5 replies in 10 minutes, LoL.

I hope you guys don't mind if I post pics of our swirls as there done to get your opinions. The more feedback I get on our swirls the better idea I get of what people like and want.

I threw the Black EMG's in it b/c its all I had that would somewhat match this guitar, but I really think a clear pickguard and a Red & Black bridge Dimarzio pickup, black single coil, and Red & Black neck pickup would REALLY set this thing off.....

·
Registered
8,373 Posts

SCS said:
No, we're NOT Sims Custom, we are Sims Custom Shop.....besides, the UK one doesn't do swirls. Don't know why anybody would be confused, it clearly says Chattanooga, TN under the user name.
Some people have selective vision;)

SCS said:
but I really think a clear pickguard and a Red & Black bridge Dimarzio pickup, black single coil, and Red & Black neck pickup would REALLY set this thing off.....
And yeah, try out your pup combo. That'd look great! Nice swirl. KEEP IT LIKE IT IS:)

1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

jemsite said:
i don't like red in guitars but leave it alone... looks great as-is :) ....glen
But what about DNA's? :)

JJEMMER777 said:
Some people have selective vision;)

And yeah, try out your pup combo. That'd look great! Nice swirl. KEEP IT LIKE IT IS:)
Yea I will leave it like it is. You guys have saved this guitar, b/c I was about 30 mins away from wiping it clean but I decided to go ahead and run it by the good 'ole faithful keen eyed Ibanez fanatic Jemsiters for a second opinion, lol. If somebody on here wants it like it is I'll sell it as it is, but if nobody has contacted me by the time I finish getting it cleared and buffed then I'll go ahead and order the Red & Black Dimarzio's,.....but then again maybe all white or Red & White Dimarzios would look better. Decisions Decisions............

I'm gonna post it in the classifieds later tonight

·
Registered
235 Posts

I think it looks great! I do like the back a little better than the front. Reminds me of my swirl! Check it out.

1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Jimbo72 said:
I think it looks great! I do like the back a little better than the front. Reminds me of my swirl! Check it out.
Thanks Jimbo! Nice guitars, I REALLY like the swirled one of course, and your right, they do resemble each other :)

·
Registered
8,514 Posts

Patrick, I'm not sure about it. I'm sure people will disagree with me but I like less busy swirls, 2 colours is nice, that's why I love GMC's, nice simple swirls look the most effective to me. Good job, though.

1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Yea, I like simple swirls too. BUT, everybody doesn't have the same taste as me. I like simple swirls, and I like some busy ones.....I really have to see them on a swirl by swirl basis, some busy ones look great, some don't, some 2 color ones look great, and some don't. I personally like ones that have good zig-zags in them, but like I said, I'm trying to put a variety out there, some with 3-5 colors some with 2, some with nice zig zags & some like this. That way there will be stuff that will appeal to ALL the swirl lovers not just a portion of them.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts

There's something very cool about the chaotic nature of that swirl. I think it would look better if the trem, pickup rings, etc weren't black though. Maybe chrome hardware on it so they don't get so lost. White pickups too maybe, or even red.

I dunno about anyone else but does that patch at the top of the rear trem cavity cover look like some sort of face??? :lol:

1 - 20 of 1374 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.