Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Just registered but I've been reading this site for quite a few months. On to the question:

I have an Ibanez RG that I am modding/customizing. I've ordered an F-Space Tone Zone and F-Space PAF Pro. I enjoy playing shred/lead stuff, ala Paul Gilbert, Vai, Petrucci (and of course Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Metallica, not so much shred but yeah). I hope I will be able to cover those tones, between the PAF Pro and the Tone Zone. Basically the really scorching lead sounds of the 80s that just cuts through anything (the song Caught Somewhere in Time comes to mind), and then the really mid-rangey rythym sound (if I had to pick one rythym sound from any of those influences, it'd definitely be Iron Maiden).

Now, my pickups are still on order (I wanted green, 80s style), so I haven't had a chance to test drive the cleans on each of them. If they aren't quite up to par (although they may be, I've heard different things), I was wondering what a good single coil would be for the middle pickup? I don't really play clean much, I'd just like a nice sounding pickup for clean interludes and stuff, like Metallica or Iron Maiden, or any other metal band with cleans I guess.

The clean sound I am trying to nail would be something like Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden - Brave New World, Iron Maiden - No More Lies, Metallica - And Justice for All, Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. Any of those songs would be a decent reference.

I'm not really looking for the exact pickups or whatever, that these guys use. I'm pretty sure none of them use Dimarzio. But as long as I can get close, I'd be happy.

As far as what amps and stuff I'm using, I either play through a Peavey JSX, a Marshall JMP-1, or an ADA MP-1. The preamps go through a Mesa 50/50.

So what would be a good single coil to pair up with the PAF Pro in the neck and the Tone Zone in the bridge?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You could just use your existing single coil and just get a new cover for it. If you don't play clean much, the cleans on the paf-pro are fine. Just roll down your volume to keep it from clipping your pre-amp. Spending $60-$100 on a single coil you barely ever use is a waste of money IMO. I mean if the stock single coil sounds good when paired with the neck pickup, then don't worry about changing it, just get a green cover to match your other two pickups.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.