Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all.

I've been in the market for a single pickup, strat style guitar recently, and was wondering if any of you could suggest some to me.

This is kind of what I'm looking for.

That's a G&L Rampage. I've been looking for one of those bad boys for YEARS, to no avail.

Jerry Cantrell has always been my all time favorite guitarist, so I've been looking for a single humbucker guitar.

God, do I know how to ramble.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
You could look for a Tom Delonge (puke) strat. There is a Kramer in teh new Music 123 catalog that is single pickup, though for what they are asking you could probably find a used G7L, and that would probably be the better guitar

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could look for a Tom Delonge (puke) strat. There is a Kramer in teh new Music 123 catalog that is single pickup, though for what they are asking you could probably find a used G7L, and that would probably be the better guitar
Yeah, the Delonge is definitely a no-go. He makes me wanna vomit, too. And besides, I'm looking for a rear loaded guitar.

I checked Music 123's site, and there aren't any Kramer's, but I'll wait a bit and see if they show up in the next couple weeks.

Trust me, I've been looking everywhere for an old G&L. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a Rampage. I'd even take a Superhawk or Invader at this point.

Thanks, man. I appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I dug my catalog out of the garbage, it's item number 756236 is red, 756234 is black, 756235 is metallic blue its $900.

Im sure you could always go the warmoth route too, if it came down to it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dug my catalog out of the garbage, it's item number 756236 is red, 756234 is black, 756235 is metallic blue its $900.

Im sure you could always go the warmoth route too, if it came down to it.
Yeah, I probably will do Warmoth. I was just saving that as my last resort because;

A.) It can get pretty pricey.

and

B.) I'm not very patient.

Well, thanks for digging through your trash for me. :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
788 Posts
the regular production single pickup kelly was called the KE-1, think it was in 1994-2000 and like 500 a year. I could be wrong tho, but they are very rare. They are amazing tho, I came so close to buying one for awhile, but to dish out $900 US for a used guitar that wont have all my specs, I rather goto kxk or something lol

I suggest finding one of those Charvels, they are nice. But what I really suggest is just buying whatever guitar you love to play (RG??) then filling in the pickup and painting again, its very easy to do.. my RG7620 is a single hum now, its pretty awesome. but I personally think strat shapes need 2 pickups

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think that Tom-Delonge-Strat with customizing can actually be pretty good. maybe doesnt look too good right out of the box but if you put pickup cover, change knobs, or even refinish it it can be good looking and good playing and sounding guitar

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think that Tom-Delonge-Strat with customizing can actually be pretty good. maybe doesnt look too good right out of the box but if you put pickup cover, change knobs, or even refinish it it can be good looking and good playing and sounding guitar
Yeah, but I could just as easily buy a regular Strat, and slap a single humbucker guard on. Know what I mean? I'd rather not have to pay more just because it's a signature guitar.

I'm really considering just buying a Strat and doin' that, though.

I suggest finding one of those Charvels, they are nice. But what I really suggest is just buying whatever guitar you love to play (RG??) then filling in the pickup and painting again, its very easy to do.. my RG7620 is a single hum now, its pretty awesome. but I personally think strat shapes need 2 pickups
I considered getting a fairly inexpensive ax off of the bay and filling in the cavities, but I have no idea as to how I would go about such a job. If I knew how to do it, or had a tutorial or something, I'd most definitely go for it.

For 1 hum one knob I'd go Charvel or Warmoth.
I was thinking Warmoth. At least with Warmoth, I can make it to the exact specs I want.

Was it just his signature Kelly that only had one pickup? I thought there was a regular prodution single pickup Kelly.
No, the KE-1 had one pickup as well, but Marty's Signature Kelly's were much more luxurious.

Marty's were neck through, and had Maple bodies and fixed Kahler bridges.

How about one of these...............:mrgreen:

'Naw. I'd really rather not have to sell a kidney and my first born child just to afford one.

Besides, I think they're kinda stupid looking.

I think I might actually buy a natural finished Unchained model from Mean Street Guitars. I've dealt with Mitch before, and he's an awesome guy, and will do pretty much anything to make his customers happy. In a world full of shoddy customer support, and frauds, this guy is a ray of sunshine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts