Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Please could you give me your opinion on my rg620qm. My problem is that the trem (edge i think) seems no longer to be parallel to the neck/fingerboard, so that now the strings pull towards the treble side of the neck. Im not sure if this is a knife edge issue or a trem post issue.

Im a newb on this forum so please be kind.
Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

geetarjon

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
it's normal, as the Edge trem's got one flat knife on the bass side and a curved one on the treble side. being the treble side knife curved, it sinks deeper into the post groove, moving that side of the trem forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi guys ,thanks for the quick responses, but i mabye haven't been clear about my problem.

The action is fine, but if you sight down the neck from the headstock, the strings run towards the treble side of the neck towards the edge of the neck.

The problem is quite pronounced and only developed fairly recently. The guitar is about 7 or 8 years old, and gets gigged quite heavily.

I don't know if i should fork out for a replacement bridge (if its the knife edges that are worn) or just some trem posts.

Thanks

geetarjon

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
ah, you have a string alignment problem, common enough, unluckily. you may want to shift the neck toward the bass side by unfastening the neck screws a bit and push the headstock to the bass side. then fasten the neck screw back. or bring it to a tech.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ah, you have a string alignment problem, common enough, unluckily. you may want to shift the neck toward the bass side by unfastening the neck screws a bit and push the headstock to the bass side. then fasten the neck screw back. or bring it to a tech.
I 2nd this. Had the same thing happen to my old Gibson Sonex. The upside being that your trem is more than likely fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just like to say thanks to all of those who answered my query, i now have a wonderfully parallel neck/string combo!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts