Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what you all might consider to be a true sleeper guitar. One that may be overlooked by the casual guitar player, or overshadowed by larger brands; but really built well, plays well and sounds great.

One that I've been pretty surprised by are the early 80's Electra Westone/Phoenix models. Very solid and versatile and you can pick them up for next to nothing.

-Andy

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Good call on the Westones, manticus. :)
I accidentally passed one of those up for a dirt cheap price because at the time I didn't know anything about them. Then I looked them up on the net, went back to the store, and they had already sold it. Bummer.

I'll agree with Jem7RB Mk, also, and add that Yamaha in general is very underrated.

I'm also a big fan of the Guild solid bodies that they used to make. They really were "solid" bodies. Weigh a ton but sound absolutely beautiful.

One final thing. I've said it before in another thread, but Korea has come along way in their building quality and I think many Korean guitars are very underrated. (LTD, Epiphones, Schecter)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gordon smith guitars are highly underated and very over looked! While i'm here i'll give an honourable mention to framus, there's a whole lotta quality luthiery going on there at the moment. Epi's are all chinese these days and might i add they are spectacularly good!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yamaha Pacifica 112's + Rich Lasner-era Pacificas.

I recently got a 112M for free and despite the fact that body is cracked nearly the whole way through it meets or exceeds guitars costing double or even triple it's price in sound and playability. The early 90's Pacificas (designed by Lasner) are also quite incredible, and in many ways outstrip their Ibanez equivalents from the same year and price range.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This was my westone. I wasn't impressed with it much at all. It looked cool but just had a lot of frequency problems. I would of changed the pick ups but the neck felt like a strat and so i sold it after owning it a few months.

What about those Talons? I think fender made them. Any one remember those? Also, the gibson M3. I loved that guitar!

·
Registered
100 Posts
peavey guitars, and basses get overlooked by the masses. i've got a t-40 bass and love it. on the t-40, as you rotate the tone knobs you go from single coil, to humbucker mode. very nice instruments(people are starting to catch on, and prices on peavey gear is rising).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TJ, I actually had that in red. Sold it to one of my friends and can get it back whenever I want, but can't see myself playing that in front of my congregation ;) I never gigged with it, but was fun to play around the house with and seemed pretty versatile to me. I still try to pick up the Phoenix style Electra's when I can fin them for a decent price, though.

Never seen a Talon, I'll have to look them up.

-Andy

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
Gordon smith guitars are highly underated and very over looked! While i'm here i'll give an honourable mention to framus, there's a whole lotta quality luthiery going on there at the moment. Epi's are all chinese these days and might i add they are spectacularly good!
yep i can remember gordon smith guitars,and yes very underated

·
Registered
32 Posts
TJ, I actually had that in red. Sold it to one of my friends and can get it back whenever I want, but can't see myself playing that in front of my congregation ;) I never gigged with it, but was fun to play around the house with and seemed pretty versatile to me. I still try to pick up the Phoenix style Electra's when I can fin them for a decent price, though.

Never seen a Talon, I'll have to look them up.

-Andy
Really? its a very classy guitar. Are they judgmental or something?

·
Registered
32 Posts
LOL, you don't have to worry about that, compared to the things that are on TV these days, I think your guitar is quite fine. lol But its good to see your thinking of your brothers and sisters. 2 thumbs up for that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The first guitar I played was a black Gibson Epiphone superstrat thing in 1990 which had a floating trem, H/S/S covered pickups and headstock like a charvel...basically a charvel ripoff lol but man it screamed and was the perfect guitar to learn on as it played itself. It was a 16 year old hair-metallers wet dream. I went from that to an RG550 in 1992 and so lent the Gibson to a friend and never saw it again.

Last year I saw a badly beaten up one on the auction site listed as "rare" and it went for nearly 4 times what I paid for it brand new.

There was always something special about it but holy crap not that special...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yamaha Pacifica 112's + Rich Lasner-era Pacificas.

I recently got a 112M for free and despite the fact that body is cracked nearly the whole way through it meets or exceeds guitars costing double or even triple it's price in sound and playability. The early 90's Pacificas (designed by Lasner) are also quite incredible, and in many ways outstrip their Ibanez equivalents from the same year and price range.
+1 on the yama's man...great for the price!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
a telecaster
Overrated, I played many yesterday and the quality of the thousand dollar tele's and 500 dollar squier were both very similar, and that's not to say squier makes good guitars, I hated all of them, only sound made the difference to me, I guess others would think differently but I have been unimpressed by tele's alot as of late.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Carvin. Basically USA built custom guitars with all the specs you could ever want and very reasonable prices, that are outstandingly good, yet hold no resale value whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Carvin. Basically USA built custom guitars with all the specs you could ever want and very reasonable prices, that are outstandingly good, yet hold no resale value whatsoever.
Yep, good call.

I own an early-seventies Gibson Blue Ridge acoustic. Solid top, listed as a laminate back and sides, but it's obviously solid. You can see the grain on the inside perfectly matching the outside. Anyway, great balanced tone between a trebly Taylor or a booming Martin, and these guitars sell for about $800-1000 today. The MK series of Gibsons are also fine-sounding guitars and can be found for even less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts