Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not only my favourite Whitesnake album but controversialy......my favourite Vai performance (well....until Lotus Feet and Under it All anyway).

It was recorded around the time of the Jem 777's era and as I play a D.Y. I wonder if any of you guys know which guitars appeared on that album.
I've got a few of the live performance video's which feature all manner of swirl UV's (Some of them realy sweet!!) but I can play most of the album on 6 strings so I'm guessing most of it was recorded on the Jems. It would be cool to finaly know for sure though.

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well, PAW was mostly recorded with UVs, and at the time it was the axe of his choice so I would asume that Slip of the Tongue was also recorded with UVs for the most part.

·
Registered
96 Posts
From what I had read in the past there are some UV prototypes and Jems on that album, and I think I read on a mirror covered UV on Vai.com that it was used for live shows with Whitesnake where it was lifted above the crowd and hit with a spotlight or somethign to that effect. I think I read somewhere that it was the first album recorded with a Universe.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
In the cd booklet it says "Steve Vai uses the Ibanez Universe and the Ibanez Jem guitars" or something like that... what axe is on each track, i dunno...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Eggy said:
This is not only my favourite Whitesnake album but controversialy......my favourite Vai performance (well....until Lotus Feet and Under it All anyway).

It was recorded around the time of the Jem 777's era and as I play a D.Y. I wonder if any of you guys know which guitars appeared on that album.
I've got a few of the live performance video's which feature all manner of swirl UV's (Some of them realy sweet!!) but I can play most of the album on 6 strings so I'm guessing most of it was recorded on the Jems. It would be cool to finaly know for sure though.

Cheers
Ben
There is nothig controversial about it. Its my favourite Vai album along with PAW. It so influenced by Vai that it sounds like a Vai album with David Coverdale on vocals.... Hence the best Vai album with lyrics.

·
Registered
403 Posts
RCB said:
There is nothig controversial about it. Its my favourite Vai album along with PAW. It so influenced by Vai that it sounds like a Vai album with David Coverdale on vocals.... Hence the best Vai album with lyrics.
Le me include "Eat'em and smile" on this list

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I know the "Mirror Ball" Jem was made specificaly for the tour shows and was born after the album was recorded. It's also true that it says he used UV's and Jems as per CD booklet, the big question is....which ones ??

I thought I might get flamed by some Vai purists for mentioning the Whitesnake album as Steve himself said the only reason he agreed to it was to promote PAW. The way I see it, it's a shame Adrian Vandenburg broke his arm before he could record what he wrote but I'm sure it wouldn't have sounded half as good as Steve played it. I've counted at least 6 guitar layers on some of those tracks and when he puts the Eventide in there it sounds like 12. Coverdales super strong vocals and Steves "wall of guitars" make for one of the best rock albums in history...........IMHO :)

Ben

P.S. There's some tidy drumming on there as well.
PPS If anyone has any photo's of the guitars used on that album please share them ;)

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Well, there are a couple tracks that are obvious a 7 was used, Judgement day for one. My guess is most of that record was done with the 7 strings, the tone is thicker than the DLR days with the JEM's and the Blaze pickups are a distinctively different sound than the PAF's. Of course I know amps make a huge difference, but most of it sounds like the UV to me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers LGM !
I'm trying to replicate the tones used on that album so it looks like I'm gonna have to make the switch to 7 strings.......Anyone got a cheap player condition UV for sale then....;)

Ben

·
Registered
527 Posts
Slip of the Tongue is great! Next to the stuff with the Diamond One, this is another one of my favorites. As great as Vai is on an overall musical level, I've always prefered hearing his work in a "regular" rock band setting....

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Slip of the Tongue wouldnt be worth the $6 I paid for it without Vai.... seriously!

He also used a Les Paul on that album too. It said on his site if you look up the only Gibson / Les Paul he owns that he bought the LP to use in the studio for the album.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
littlegreenman said:
Well, there are a couple tracks that are obvious a 7 was used, Judgement day for one. My guess is most of that record was done with the 7 strings, the tone is thicker than the DLR days with the JEM's and the Blaze pickups are a distinctively different sound than the PAF's. Of course I know amps make a huge difference, but most of it sounds like the UV to me.
Ditto :).

Regards

André

·
Registered
422 Posts
Despite what it said in the album cover...this was around the time Vai was still using the mighty Green Meanie, right? Or was it retired before then? This was when jems and uv's were first starting to come out, I think Vai would still prefer to use the one he was familiar with for recording and such. Although I can't recall him ever using a 7 string besides a UV. Listen to "Is This Love". He has a completely different sound than any of his other albums on that one because in FTLOG and other 7th songs it just doesn't have that crying sound he captures on that song. I think I almost cried when I was listening to it last night. Or maybe it was how many times I died on star wars...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I forgot to ask, what amps was he using at this time? Was he still using Carvins or did he go to JCM 800's yet? I L-O-V-E the sounds he gets, I'm listening to "Now You're Gone" right now and just realize that that's the sound I've been wanting to get for a long time. 80's metal to the core man. Lol.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Its a pretty good album, Kittens got claws and the solo in fool for your loving is just classic Vai

Time to go back in time in my CD collection ...

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Praetorian said:
I forgot to ask, what amps was he using at this time? Was he still using Carvins or did he go to JCM 800's yet? I L-O-V-E the sounds he gets, I'm listening to "Now You're Gone" right now and just realize that that's the sound I've been wanting to get for a long time. 80's metal to the core man. Lol.
He was using a 1971 Lee Jackson modded Marshall to my knowledge. The JCM 800 was a backup to that.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It's obvious that some UV sounds went into PAW. But I've seen numerous claims that Slip of the Tongue was all UV. Mostly by Vai himself in interviews.
The liner notes specify UV & Jem series. Ripley Stereo guitar. Guild 6&12 string acoustic. Coral Sitar. Marshall amps, Mesa Strategy power amps.
You may also want to check this out for info on his setup:
http://www.jemsite.com/dl/zip/z_ad_et5.zip
I think it's predominantly JCM900. For me, it was one of the reasons for buying one.

I've always liked it, my younger brother had the CD back then, and we used to play it alot. I recently got it as well. Like some other Vai recordings the keyboards are a bit cheesy. Definitely the best vocals of any Vai performance (save perhaps Nelly Furtado ;) ) Lyrically it's lacking in depth. I think it got voted into GW's shred hall of fame. It is very much OTT in comparison to Whitesnake's standard bluesy hard rock.

As a Dutchmen it hurts me to see how Adrian Vanderberg's abilities are underestimated by some Vai fans. AFAIK he didn't break his arm, but had tendinitis/RSI. Adje rocks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Are you kidding me? It's the cheesiness of all 80's songs that makes them great! Lol. But as far as the rig goes...that would be enough said if it weren't for the fact that it was an advertisement. As Red5 said, the amp was a 1971 modded marshall, the jcm 900 was just probably something he posed for. Then again, what's the closest thing to a modded 1971? Probably a jcm 800 or 900. I think I'm gonna look for an 800 once I'm in the market for one again. But then that leaves a big desire for a good clean sound...hmm, so many choices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts