Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God am I depressed. I was hoping it would compare to a cheaper RG series, but it just didn't. While I hated the strat knobs, the hate stopped there. The guitar had the best feel of any guitar II can remember. It made me wonder why people still buy strats. The trem was excellent and I didn't even have to tune it. The pickups were Evos which I already liked, but they just fit with this guitar.

Long story longer... I will not be asking if the Jems are worth the extra $$, because they are very nice. I don't get the scalloped fretboard or the handle, but am not really knocking it either.

Is there any possibility that I could get an RG that plays like a Jem? I don't need the gold hardware, handle, awesome inlay, scallops.

I just want an RG that plays like that Jem. Am I asking for too much? I want to stay under $1000.00 What do you recommend?

·
Registered
973 Posts
RG550 20ths play really good and have a great neck and the trem flutters just as well as my jem. And as your not keen on the handle or scalloped frets then problem solved :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just buy an RG Prestige...you'll love the neck!
I bought a 1570 for 550 Euros new...you can add 150 more to swap the PU's if you need it...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
if you mean like the JEM you tried, then it's alder, while the most RGs are basswood. you should get one of those alder RGs from the '90s and put Evos in there. then you'll be pretty close to the JEM7V sound, i guess...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Shop around for an RG Prestige, if you can try as many out as possible I'm sure you'll be able to find one which makes you feel the same as the Jem.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Shop around for an RG Prestige, if you can try as many out as possible I'm sure you'll be able to find one which makes you feel the same as the Jem.
I agree. As a previous owner (just sold recently) of a JEM 7vwh, a current owner of an RGT320Q (prestige) and a custom JEM swirl, ...I'd most definitely say to go with a Prestige RG if you can afford one. And, ...if you look around you can get one discounted. I paid 3-400 dollars less than the standard $1999 just because a local sam ash had discounted it. I asked why and the only reason they had was because it had been there a while, had been seen and hadn't found a home. They just wanted to move it out of their stock. So, ...I helped them, LOL. It is an insane guitar, and IMO plays better than the factory JEM, ...but everyone's hands and preferences are different.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I agree. As a previous owner (just sold recently) of a JEM 7vwh, a current owner of an RGT320Q (prestige) and a custom JEM swirl, ...I'd most definitely say to go with a Prestige RG if you can afford one. And, ...if you look around you can get one discounted. I paid 3-400 dollars less than the standard $1999 just because a local sam ash had discounted it. I asked why and the only reason they had was because it had been there a while, had been seen and hadn't found a home. They just wanted to move it out of their stock. So, ...I helped them, LOL. It is an insane guitar, and IMO plays better than the factory JEM, ...but everyone's hands and preferences are different.
Exactly, I owned a 7vWH for about 1.5 years I think then sold it to a member on here because I bought an RGA (second hand) I could have bought about 5 RGAs for the price of the 7v but the fact is the RGA just feels better. It makes me sad when people want a 7v so much (like I did) and presume it'll be amazing for them. Any advice I'd give is just try as many guitars as possible from right across the price range because you never know what'll feel 'right'.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Is there any possibility that I could get an RG that plays like a Jem? I don't need the gold hardware, handle, awesome inlay, scallops.

I just want an RG that plays like that Jem. Am I asking for too much? I want to stay under $1000.00 What do you recommend?
New RG Prestige, older RG 5xx/6xx/7xx series, RG 20th Anniversary. With a good setup any of these will play as well as any JEM.

RG550 20ths play really good and have a great neck and the trem flutters just as well as my jem. And as your not keen on the handle or scalloped frets then problem solved :)
^^^.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Yeah, a lot of these guitars will play very well indeed, but they won't really feel like a Jem. I'd try as many Ibanezes as you can, as there are a lot of really nice Prestige instruments for less than the price of a Jem. If you want 'just as nice' and the same feel, you're basically out of luck. If you want 'just as nice' but with a slighty different feel (not necessarily worse or better, just different) you've got a few nice options new and used.

jim

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I liked the VWH that I played a few years ago. Although i've never been a fan of gold hardware, it's a pretty nice looking, nice playing guitar. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I own two Jems (a 7VWH and a 77BRMR "Bad Horse"). I also own a Prestige RGT320Q and a J Custom 8570 so I feel I can chime in here.

They are all fantastic instruments. I didn't want to have so many guitars so I sat down with these 4 Ibanez' and tried to determine which ones to part with. I determined that they all had their unique playability and sound and I couldn't handle parting with any of them (not yet at least).

I don't like the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo in Mahogany as my J Custom has, but the overall feel and tone outweighs that small negative for me. The MAIN thing about the J Custom is the WORKMANSHIP. The flame maple binding on the neck is stunning with the flame maple neck. You can tell it's a handmade instrument.

The Prestige neck-through plays awesome though the "IBZ" stock pickups are barely passable. I was going to replace those with either a Duncan Custom5 (B)/Full Shred (N) combo or a Tone Zone (B)/PAF Pro (N) combo. This is one guitar that I have a hard time putting down.

I never expected to bond with my 7VWH, but it remains one that I will most definitely keep. I won't sell it for any amount of money. I've owned a couple of 7VWH's (some ebony board, the one I have now is rosewood) and I've concluded that you have to find the right one that feels right for you. Some of the 7VWH's I had I couldn't connect with. If you connected with that 7VWH it doesn't mean you will with the next one. Buy it if you can.

An additional note about the Bad Horsie and the 7VWH is that, sound wise, they are antonymous from each other. With the Breeds I have to really lean into the pick attack and just nail the strings. With the 7VWH I can ease up a bit because of it's treble profile and sensitivity.

Though I LOVE the sound of the Breeds and the playability of the Bad Horsie is excellent, it's turning out to be my least played instrument since the EQ is so drastically different from my other guitars. I have to have special settings specifically for it so it doesn't sound too different when I switch guitars. You can hear the Bad Horsie pretty much uncolored at my MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/zamanster) and listen to "Glenfinnan".

So, in conclusion, I guess you could say that they are all OUTSTANDING instruments and one guitar of the same model isn't necessarily going to "click" for you like the other. You've gotta find the right one for what you feel and how you want to sound.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all. I played a new one at my local GC. I seriously would have bought it if I was in the $2000.00 guitar neighborhood. There was nothing I hated about it (but the strat knobs....easy to replace).

I loved the feel and sound. I don't quite understand why that guitar felt so good. It is like they spent extra time with it not just in cosmetics and asthetics, but with sand paper, making it feel like a played in guitar minus the wear.

It is a creamy dreamy guitar to say the least.

It is difficult for me to check out RG series guitars because there are so few in my area. I could go for a RG550 in red or yellow.

I just really want to play the thing before I shell out my $. I see that even people who play the high end Jems also recommend this practice.

I think the INF pickups are not so bad, but they are not DiMarzios for sure. I think the V7 and V8 are also good. I thought the Designed by EMG weren't so bad, but I think they are a step down from the INF.

I will start checking into the 5xx and up RG models thanks!

I don't really need that Jem sound exactly, but the feel was amazing. That is most important to me as I can solder and do setups all day long.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks all. I played a new one at my local GC. I seriously would have bought it if I was in the $2000.00 guitar neighborhood. There was nothing I hated about it (but the strat knobs....easy to replace).

I loved the feel and sound. I don't quite understand why that guitar felt so good. It is like they spent extra time with it not just in cosmetics and asthetics, but with sand paper, making it feel like a played in guitar minus the wear.

It is a creamy dreamy guitar to say the least.

It is difficult for me to check out RG series guitars because there are so few in my area. I could go for a RG550 in red or yellow.

I just really want to play the thing before I shell out my $. I see that even people who play the high end Jems also recommend this practice.

I think the INF pickups are not so bad, but they are not DiMarzios for sure. I think the V7 and V8 are also good. I thought the Designed by EMG weren't so bad, but I think they are a step down from the INF.

I will start checking into the 5xx and up RG models thanks!

I don't really need that Jem sound exactly, but the feel was amazing. That is most important to me as I can solder and do setups all day long.

Thanks!!
If you don't like the "strat" knobs then put on metal domes and make the volume a push-pull pot and wire it for splitting the coils. I've done this before on a 7VWH and it was awesome.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think that basically you don't need anything more than a RG2550 these days. The rest is either a bit different or more flashy, but not really better. I was impressed when I played a 2550 last year. Makes one forget the pathetic 90s.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts