Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i visited my local tech, along with techs at ****** and guitar center, and neither can fix the buzzing on my guitar, nor on a guitar i plan to buy. One has said my guitar neck has warped, and i checked it myself and that seems ridiculous. I got a second opinion and they said it wasnt warped, but they couldnt get rid of the buzz without ridiculously high action (RG4EXFM1 with an edge iii tremolo). In another instance, i was planning on buying an RG7321, and the guitar tech insisted that all guitars buzz if its low action, as long as it doesnt come through the amplifier its fine. I dont know how true this is, considering i have played on JEMs and UVs that has amazing low action with no buzz at all. How true do you guys think this information is?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Standard.. Like I see it on guitars in stores all the time on ibanez guitars, including jems. To stop the buzzing, the action has to be a centimeter high at the 24th fret on the 1st and 6th string without being pressed down.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the rg4exfm1 when I lower it it buzzes through out the EAD strings from 1-24, even the open strings buzz if hit hard enough.
On the rg7321 it buzzes on the BEA strings, through out all of the B, 0-12 on the E and 12-24 on the A. Weird right?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like your frets need levelling and 'possibly' the nut slots to be looked at. Also the bow of the neck (tension rod) amongst other things.

Here's one to check yourself:
To check the string height at the nut, press each string just in front of the 2nd fret. Visually check the clearance of the string to the first fret. It should not be touching the first fret. I can't remember what the 'ideal' clearance should be but I tend to have only a small amount of clearance, roughly 0.3mm to ~0.5mm max. This will give the lowest action possible at the nut end. Just make sure that your 1st fret is in very good shape first!

so....
1. Frets are levelled, no dips/peaks, general flattening/wear
2. Nut slots are OK for action at 1st fret
3. Bridge height is OK
4. Bow of neck is correct
5. Angle of neck is correct
6. Neck is not twisted.

Check all of above (not necessarily in that order) and make adjustments where necessary. Use due process because one adjustment may affect another. Search web for proper guitar setup information/procedure.

Also, a little buzzing is not uncommon here and there, especially as frets wear down. A few of my guitars buzz in various places but it doen't come through. Think of it as 'character'.......LOL.

Learn how to setup a guitar for information reasons. That way you can identify a possible issue/cause and either you can fix it or at least get it fixed..... without looking or feeling sheepish when speaking to repairers.

I think you've got enough info to move forward....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts