Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I'm well what u say a "below intermediate" player and I've played only classical (nylon) and cheap acoustic guitars.

But I've been a metalhead as long as I remember but because of my families financial situation back then and well them not liking distortion, never had a chance to play an electric. and the closest I got was plugging a really cheap chinese Electro acoustic (around 80$) to garageband and well u can guess how fun to play that is...

Now after saving up for months, I've decided to get an Ibanez because hot damn they are beautiful, and well have a good reputation (especially cuz the only electric i tried was ibanez and that w3 neck and jumbo frets felt like heaven to me).
And I'm Stuck between choosing 2

RG350dxz in white and a bunch of RGA42, and considering my budget i cant get up to the likes of RG550 especially considering the inflated price here.
I like shredding but I also really love riffs too, if one day i join a band i'd definetly go for the rhythm role, so the answer is obviously a fixed bridge RGA but thing is, i find RG350dxz drop dead gorgeous, and well say to myself "I can just block the trem if imma not use it and unblock it if i need a whammy later"
There is also 7 string RGAs that tempt me...
I just feel like there are way too many options and i feel overwhelmed because i know if i buy one imma stick to it for years.
So please share your opinion and experiences, I will appreciate it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
the rg350dx should be ok for starting out, ideally you would want an rg550 if you plan for the long term. The rg350 will only make things a bit harder to play imo a is lower quality instrument, but if you could find a used rg350 should be good for a few years, then you can sell it and buy something better in the future

the problem with the rg350 is the tremolo is inferior so if your guitar will be more prone to going out of tune

rg550 is always out of stock lately and overpriced on used market

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Honestly If you are playing rhythm a rounder fret board is more comfortable for chords. An RG has a very flat board which is great for fast shredding, the fingers naturally curve and it can be more comfortable for a rounder board... However, since you are used to a classical acoustic you're probably pretty used to flat fretboards. If you're not interested in a tremolo the RG550 shouldn't even be considered. I am not sure where you are in the world... You don't have a flag next to your screen name... But if you buy from sweetwater they do tend to do a nice job of setting up the guitars. This one here looks like something that might be up your alley.

It's very nice looking poplar top with a mahogany body. The Wizard III neck you like, and the price is nice. They're expecting more in stock soon... It's tough to find anything in stock nowadays. But what's nice is that with sweetwater, if it's in stock... The photo you see IS the guitar you will be purchasing. Meaning the top on the guitar WILL BE the top you get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your detailed reccomendations, I think Imma go for a fixed bridge and avoid the cheap trem drama, and maybe then get a guitar with a trem (RG550 most likely) later down the line when i grasp more stuff with an electric.
and as for where i live, i live in turkey, and I'm gonna buy my guitar of "zuhal muzik" which is a big ibanez dealer, thing is there is a MASSIVE tax on electronics so a 1000$ guitar is like 1200$, but the folks in the shop are hella supportive and they also recommended a fixed bridge.
I tried out a RG421 and well it felt like heaven moving from a stupidly cheap guitar to it, imma try out RGA series too because i like their looks too, see which one feels better.

Thank you both again and have a wonderful day/night.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you considered trying to look around for other options than buying new from a dealer? That tax is quite unfortunate. It would be painful to save up money for months to buy a new thousand-ish dollar-plus guitar but end up paying hundreds of dollars above price for a mid-range instrument.

Considering your financial situation and your new entrance to electric guitars and Ibanez, I think it would be worth spending some time online and asking around, checking into alternatives. For example, buying used, social media marketplaces, and so forth.

I have been in your situation so I know what it's like to feel like you have saved up the money and once you have then you don't want to compromise. At the same time, it's often wise to purchase and spend time with a cheaper (and/or used) item, that's similar to the thing you're dreaming of buying brand-new, instead of going all-in on something that you don't really know very well.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts