Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find the perfect S-series Prestige that will have 24 frets, and an Edge, LoPro or ProEdge and a color I'll like.

Problem is that if I do a search for S-series it seems that a lot of them don't show up, if I search by Prestige, I have to stumble through a bunch of RG's, and then there's the problem of having so many ZR trems and 22 fret models coming up.

Does anyone know if there is a definitive list that would tell me the model numbers which would match my search criteria? I can't be the only confused searcher out here, can I?

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can walk in to an Ibanez dealer and order a brand new guitar precisely matching your criteria.

However, I'm guessing that you're looking for something secondhand, this makes it trickier because nearly all the older S-series MIJ guitars are 22-fret so that means Edge Pro is out, so you're looking for one made since the Edge or Lo-Pro Edge were re-released in 2010.

There are not that many Prestige models to trawl through so it comes down to colour and that's a matter for you and you alone.

·
Vendor
26,754 Posts
24 fret S's only come with Lo Pro's, they missed the whole Edge Pro phase by using ZR trems instead. Unless you're overseas [no location] there have been very few models available 24 fret Lo Pro.

S5570's in Q-quilt and TKS-non quilt
S6570Q's - quilt.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
24 fret S's only come with Lo Pro's, they missed the whole Edge Pro phase by using ZR trems instead. Unless you're overseas [no location] there have been very few models available 24 fret Lo Pro.

S5570's in Q-quilt and TKS-non quilt
S6570Q's - quilt.
Try as I might I just can't get used to 22 frets after having played nothing but RG's for years now. Not concerned which of the three trems I mentioned I get, just so it's one of them and the LoPro is the one I'm most used to, so that's perfect. Just hate the ZR, although it sounded great on paper, no good for someone used to the traditional Edge action.

You seem to know a lot about them so could you tell me when they got rid of the neck plate? Definitely like my S-320 and S-540 lack of a neck plate and wondered how far back I could search without running into them.

Thanks so much for the info and I'm feeling more optimistic already.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...I'm guessing that you're looking for something secondhand, this makes it trickier because nearly all the older S-series MIJ guitars are 22-fret so that means Edge Pro is out, so you're looking for one made since the Edge or Lo-Pro Edge were re-released in 2010.
Other than a couple acoustics, I've always bought my guitars used, mostly because of so much more bang for the buck and as noted, it's the difficulty of finding non-22 fret and non-ZR models that's been driving me nuts in my search. Love my S-540, but it's absolutely going on the market once I find the right 24 fret model, or two.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Neck plate? Like 1991ish.

Forgot about the S6UC, blank ebony boards and uppercuts. But not all models shown in wiki will be available in all territories.
From '91 on makes it pretty easy to avoid neck plated models and I'm starting to think I'll be needing to spend some time in Japan soon!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not if you want 24 frets, they didn't exist until 2009, and all had ZR trems. The S5570 would be the first 24 fret Lo Pro.
Ooops, that's right, 24 frets is an absolute must.

So, would that be on Japan-only models as well? I am planning on going to Japan with S-search as one of my top priorities...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Egen was the first 24 fret S which migrated to the production lines the next year. Japan won't be any different, they may have a couple different colors.
I know I've sure seen a lot more S-series in Japan than I've ever seen over here.

So are either one of these pictures the guitar you've got? I didn't like the first picture on the link but do like these two and judging from the picture comparisons they all seem to be different guitars. Definitely like the way these two pics look.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.