Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered one that should arrive this Wednesday. If it "feels" good, then I'm going to sell off all my rack gear, including my 3TM MP-1s and Eventide, and get 2 of them. On paper, the Axe-FX is not even in the same league as anything offered by Line 6, Boss or anyone else.

If you haven't heard of it, here's a link to their site and some demo videos a user posted on You Tube.

#1 Cleans and SFX

#2 More Cleans and SFX

#3 Crunch and High Gain Part 1

#4 High Gain Part 2

#5 High Gain Part 3

#6 Pitch Shifter

#7 High Gain Part 4

·
Registered
63 Posts
dont sell ya stuff yet .... they are good but my friend still uses his amps live , he was hoping it would replace everything but has not ,,,, he uses an extc like mine so maybe its the valve head tone he could not achieve through bogner cab , if you have a 3tm pre amp then it might be a better upgrade for a pre amp as you are used to that sort of sound ..... i have not used the axe fx im just going of what my friend said who has the unit ,,, he is very picky and has elmwoods bogner etc ..... dont worry though he did say it was a good unit maybe he is just used to a certain sound .... and he would have sold it by now if it was rubbish

·
Registered
597 Posts
The videos are great! It sure blows my pod xt live out of the water! And the specs are out of this world (dual core processing?!?!?!?!)!

Enjoy it! It seems awesome (but don't sell your equipment right away)!!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got about 19 spaces of rack gear so even if I do decide to sell it, it's going to take me a while. Regardless, I'm on vacation for 3 weeks so I'm going to spend a lot of time figuring out if I can get the sound I want from the Axe-FX. It's effects seems great but what I really care about are the amp sims.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
GAS GAS GASSSS, even with my Legacy I just want this thing in my arsenal. Right now I am just sticking to the simple things for college but as I make money and use it (on college lol) I will have this in my mind over anything else. Since I dont need an amp, or a guitar but I did sell my gt-pro to save room. Maybe this will take over haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have had the axe-fx ultra for about 4 months , and its the best thing i have ever played through , including tube amps!!! the line6 stuff is a joke compaired to this box, the effects are stellar! and as good and better than , eveintide,lexicon...., the amp models are incredible to say the least. they are extremly expensive, but worth every cent , i ditched my line6 vetta hd , for the ultra and it was the best thing i ever did , i power it with a mesa simulclass 2/90 , and it is monster!!!! and for direct recording it blows anything on the market away by far, just my opinion of coarse! but i havent seen or heard anything better! the unit does have a learning curve. and if you have never programed an effects unit , it will take some time to learn this unit, this thing is wicked!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plugged my Charvel Bengal into it tonight and all I can say is holy crap. I stripped down a factory patch to amp, cab and delay and just tweaked the amps and cabs. It's friggin' amazing. It really does respond like a tube amp. I've had other modelers before (Boss GT-8, Boss GT-Pro, Line 6 Gearbox) and this thing is nothing like them. I don't know what else to say except it does everything everyone claims it can.

On a side note, I understand how it can do what it does. Other modelers don't have the horsepower (CPU-wise) to allow the range of dynamics that the Axe-FX does. The more horsepower you have, the more bits you can put towards recreating an analog sound. It's like comparing an 8 bit color image to a 32 bit color image. The resolution and color range is exponentially greater on the 32 bit image.

I still have to spend time really fine tuning my meat and potato distortion sound but I'm so close after only an hour.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
^^Clearly a person with a very boring or non-existant sex life. I kid =P. But yeah, I would suggest maybe TRYING the thing before bashing it and writing something like "I use a real amp". That wasn't the question of the thread whatsoever. =]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Haha, to anyone possibly offended, I was kidding. I have in fact tried it, and I didn't like it, thus why I'm not using it. I will admit it does sound good, but not right for my ears.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
On a side note, I understand how it can do what it does. Other modelers don't have the horsepower (CPU-wise) to allow the range of dynamics that the Axe-FX does. The more horsepower you have, the more bits you can put towards recreating an analog sound. It's like comparing an 8 bit color image to a 32 bit color image. The resolution and color range is exponentially greater on the 32 bit image.
I'm sure the AXeFX is a fine machine, but to claim it's unique is just plain wrong.

First it has 24bit AD conversion and 32bit processing. CD quality is 16bit, but 0,5% of the people can hear up to 18bit. So 24bit is not really a luxury and once you start sampling at 24bit you need to process at a much higher rate to avoid digital overflow. (clipping)

But a Digitech 1101 has 24bit AD/DA and 48bit processing! (using twin processors btw)
and note that my old trusty Digitech 2101 (twin tube preamp so only the effects are digital) was already 24bit AD & 48bit processing.

Second, the AxeFX is a modeller, plain and simple. I still fail to see why you would want to replace something, like a fully programmable twin tube preamp, when the real deal is as reliable and in the end provides the tone people are looking for. A modeller is just a modeller, a substitute for the real deal.

Lastly, listening to the clips on youtube (I know sound quality can be affected by that) it doesn't seem to be that far ahead of GT8 or Line6 stuff, and lagging the 1101...

1101 at NAMM:
or check out our very own Rikk Beaty.

I'd be very interested to hear from people with first hand experience on any of the Digitech GSPs vs. the AxeFX.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm not going to bother to debate the bit depth, quality of number of the processors but none of that really matters to me.All that matters to me is how it sounds.

Second, the AxeFX is a modeller, plain and simple. I still fail to see why you would want to replace something, like a fully programmable twin tube preamp, when the real deal is as reliable...
At this point, MP-1s are getting pretty old (at least mine are) and becoming less reliable without being overhauled.

...and in the end provides the tone people are looking for.
I like the sound of my MP-1s but it just gets "that sound". It's not a Marshall or a Fender or a Dumble or a Mesa.

A modeller is just a modeller, a substitute for the real deal.
I won't disagree with that. It comes down to convenience and cost but the bottom line is does it sound good and feel good to the player? If it does, that's all that matters.

Lastly, listening to the clips on youtube (I know sound quality can be affected by that) it doesn't seem to be that far ahead of GT8 or Line6 stuff, and lagging the 1101...
I've owned the GT-8, the GT-Pro and the Line 6 Gearbox. It light years head in terms of how it responds to dynamics.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
1101 at NAMM:
In the video, it appears that he's running through or at least into a Fender amp, correct?

BTW, even ignoring the the amp models, the 1101's effects are very limited compared to the Axe-FX whose effects are in the same class as the Eventide Eclipse (which I own right now) but when comparing the amp models on paper, the Axe-FX offers significantly more tweakability for the user.

The parameters for the amp models in the 1101 are:
- Amp Gain
- Bass
- Mid
- Treble
- Amp Level.

The parameters for the amp models in the Axe-FX are:
- Bright
- Drive
- Boost
- Bass
- Mid
- Treble
- Presence control
- High Cut
- Depth
- Deep
- Damp
- Sag
- Master Volume
- Low Cut Frequency
- Bright Cap
- Tonestack Type
- Warmth
- Thump
- Tone Frequencies
- Transformer Match
- Transformer Low Frequency.
- Transformer High Frequency.
- Tone Location
- Power Tube Bias
- Presence Frequency
- B+ Capacitance
- Sag
- Speaker Resonant Frequency
- Stabilizer

The names of most of the these parameters may seem superfluous at first glance but when you read the manual and understand how they affect the sound they become incredibly useful for fine tuning your tone.

The simple fact is a modeler that costs $1500 - $2K should be better than a modeler that costs 1/3 to 1/4 as much...and it is. Whether or not it sounds better is subjective. Heck, I don't like the sound of an Air Norton or EMG-81 but but a lot of other folks do. ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The parameters for the amp models in the Axe-FX are:
- Bright
- Drive
- Boost
- Bass
- Mid
- Treble
- Presence control
- High Cut
- Depth
- Deep
- Damp
- Sag
- Master Volume
- Low Cut Frequency
- Bright Cap
- Tonestack Type
- Warmth
- Thump
- Tone Frequencies
- Transformer Match
- Transformer Low Frequency.
- Transformer High Frequency.
- Tone Location
- Power Tube Bias
- Presence Frequency
- B+ Capacitance
- Sag
- Speaker Resonant Frequency
- Stabilizer
That is precisely why I don't like digital units and sold my GSP1101 in 2 months, I found myself spending way too much time "fine-tuning" my sound with all these crazy parameters :D Don't get me wrong, the GSP1101 blew me away with it's quality and I will buy one if I ever play in a cover band again, but for writing music I prefer my amp and pedals for their simplicity and tone.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is precisely why I don't like digital units and sold my GSP1101 in 2 months, I found myself spending way too much time "fine-tuning" my sound with all these crazy parameters :D
The parameter list you quoted is from the Axe-FX and the GSP1101. My point was that the GSP1101 has far less parameters to being with which makes it much more difficult if not impossible to fine tune your sound.

Besides, with any modeler, when you create a patch you have to start simple with just an amp and a cab. Using a modeler take a whole differently mentality and it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I know that was the list for the AxeFX, GSP1101 has it's own set of parameters that affect your tone drastically with one small change... the input/output settings are a good example on the GSP, it can take you days to get it perfect. And then when you plug in to a different setup/amp, you have to figure out what sounds best again. My point is there's way too many parameters to tweak your sound and you will spend a significant amount of time trying to get it right.

Then again, I guess it's how you look at it... when I want to shape my sound I'd rather work with 3-4 controls. And you're right, modelers are not for everyone as I've had my share of multi-effects units for over 8 years because I wanted to sound like my favorite artists. Times change and now I want to sound like me so the GSP didn't really do it for me even though I tried.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts