Ibanez JEM Forum banner

So who's playing an Axe-FX?

29K views 216 replies 55 participants last post by  toneboy 
#1 ·
I ordered one that should arrive this Wednesday. If it "feels" good, then I'm going to sell off all my rack gear, including my 3TM MP-1s and Eventide, and get 2 of them. On paper, the Axe-FX is not even in the same league as anything offered by Line 6, Boss or anyone else.

If you haven't heard of it, here's a link to their site and some demo videos a user posted on You Tube.

#1 Cleans and SFX

#2 More Cleans and SFX

#3 Crunch and High Gain Part 1

#4 High Gain Part 2

#5 High Gain Part 3

#6 Pitch Shifter

#7 High Gain Part 4

#2 ·
dont sell ya stuff yet .... they are good but my friend still uses his amps live , he was hoping it would replace everything but has not ,,,, he uses an extc like mine so maybe its the valve head tone he could not achieve through bogner cab , if you have a 3tm pre amp then it might be a better upgrade for a pre amp as you are used to that sort of sound ..... i have not used the axe fx im just going of what my friend said who has the unit ,,, he is very picky and has elmwoods bogner etc ..... dont worry though he did say it was a good unit maybe he is just used to a certain sound .... and he would have sold it by now if it was rubbish

#5 ·
I've got about 19 spaces of rack gear so even if I do decide to sell it, it's going to take me a while. Regardless, I'm on vacation for 3 weeks so I'm going to spend a lot of time figuring out if I can get the sound I want from the Axe-FX. It's effects seems great but what I really care about are the amp sims.

#6 ·
GAS GAS GASSSS, even with my Legacy I just want this thing in my arsenal. Right now I am just sticking to the simple things for college but as I make money and use it (on college lol) I will have this in my mind over anything else. Since I dont need an amp, or a guitar but I did sell my gt-pro to save room. Maybe this will take over haha

#8 ·
i have had the axe-fx ultra for about 4 months , and its the best thing i have ever played through , including tube amps!!! the line6 stuff is a joke compaired to this box, the effects are stellar! and as good and better than , eveintide,lexicon...., the amp models are incredible to say the least. they are extremly expensive, but worth every cent , i ditched my line6 vetta hd , for the ultra and it was the best thing i ever did , i power it with a mesa simulclass 2/90 , and it is monster!!!! and for direct recording it blows anything on the market away by far, just my opinion of coarse! but i havent seen or heard anything better! the unit does have a learning curve. and if you have never programed an effects unit , it will take some time to learn this unit, this thing is wicked!

#9 ·
I plugged my Charvel Bengal into it tonight and all I can say is holy crap. I stripped down a factory patch to amp, cab and delay and just tweaked the amps and cabs. It's friggin' amazing. It really does respond like a tube amp. I've had other modelers before (Boss GT-8, Boss GT-Pro, Line 6 Gearbox) and this thing is nothing like them. I don't know what else to say except it does everything everyone claims it can.

On a side note, I understand how it can do what it does. Other modelers don't have the horsepower (CPU-wise) to allow the range of dynamics that the Axe-FX does. The more horsepower you have, the more bits you can put towards recreating an analog sound. It's like comparing an 8 bit color image to a 32 bit color image. The resolution and color range is exponentially greater on the 32 bit image.

I still have to spend time really fine tuning my meat and potato distortion sound but I'm so close after only an hour.

#15 ·
On a side note, I understand how it can do what it does. Other modelers don't have the horsepower (CPU-wise) to allow the range of dynamics that the Axe-FX does. The more horsepower you have, the more bits you can put towards recreating an analog sound. It's like comparing an 8 bit color image to a 32 bit color image. The resolution and color range is exponentially greater on the 32 bit image.
I'm sure the AXeFX is a fine machine, but to claim it's unique is just plain wrong.

First it has 24bit AD conversion and 32bit processing. CD quality is 16bit, but 0,5% of the people can hear up to 18bit. So 24bit is not really a luxury and once you start sampling at 24bit you need to process at a much higher rate to avoid digital overflow. (clipping)

But a Digitech 1101 has 24bit AD/DA and 48bit processing! (using twin processors btw)
and note that my old trusty Digitech 2101 (twin tube preamp so only the effects are digital) was already 24bit AD & 48bit processing.

Second, the AxeFX is a modeller, plain and simple. I still fail to see why you would want to replace something, like a fully programmable twin tube preamp, when the real deal is as reliable and in the end provides the tone people are looking for. A modeller is just a modeller, a substitute for the real deal.

Lastly, listening to the clips on youtube (I know sound quality can be affected by that) it doesn't seem to be that far ahead of GT8 or Line6 stuff, and lagging the 1101...

1101 at NAMM:
or check out our very own Rikk Beaty.

I'd be very interested to hear from people with first hand experience on any of the Digitech GSPs vs. the AxeFX.

#20 ·
I know that was the list for the AxeFX, GSP1101 has it's own set of parameters that affect your tone drastically with one small change... the input/output settings are a good example on the GSP, it can take you days to get it perfect. And then when you plug in to a different setup/amp, you have to figure out what sounds best again. My point is there's way too many parameters to tweak your sound and you will spend a significant amount of time trying to get it right.

Then again, I guess it's how you look at it... when I want to shape my sound I'd rather work with 3-4 controls. And you're right, modelers are not for everyone as I've had my share of multi-effects units for over 8 years because I wanted to sound like my favorite artists. Times change and now I want to sound like me so the GSP didn't really do it for me even though I tried.

#22 ·
... the input/output settings are a good example on the GSP, it can take you days to get it perfect.
I can't speak for the GSP1101 but it only took me a few seconds to get the input/output settings on the Axe-FX set up correctly.

My point is there's way too many parameters to tweak your sound and you will spend a significant amount of time trying to get it right.
That completely dependent upon the person. I don't expect to have to spend that much time trying to get it right. I got really close to what I wanted in a few hours.

Then again, I guess it's how you look at it... when I want to shape my sound I'd rather work with 3-4 controls.
It all depends on how deep you want to go whether it's a modeler or a tube amp. Heck, there are plenty of folks who own tube amps that want one brand of tube in this socket and another in that socket and so on and so on. Tweaking any gear can be as simple or as complex as one makes it.

And you're right, modelers are not for everyone as I've had my share of multi-effects units for over 8 years because I wanted to sound like my favorite artists.
I gave up a long time ago trying to sound like anyone else but me. ;)

...now I want to sound like me so the GSP didn't really do it for me even though I tried.
Well, anything you plug into should sound like you anyway. ;)

#21 ·
Here's petrol on the fire...
You should be able to reproduce the sound of *any* amp, valves or otherwise with only 16bits of resolution and 44.1kHz sampling..... and the reason is that's what CDs use and you can easily recognise a good amp tone or otherwise on one of those!
And you should be able to do the simulation because it works well enough with mp3s which are only an approximation to the real thing.

The real problem is of processing to achieve sufficient quality, so far it's been good but not perfect. The Axe-Fx probably isn't perfect either, but it seems closer than most.

For my 2p, mostly for no good reason... give me a big heavy amp with warm bottles in it any day!;)
Jim

#25 ·
You should be able to reproduce the sound of *any* amp, valves or otherwise with only 16bits of resolution and 44.1kHz sampling.
I think we've already covered that and it's not entirely correct:

1) 16bit is indeed CD quality but 0,5% of the people can hear 18bit resolution. Philips electronics (who set the CD standard with Sony) actually found this out after they had written the CD bluebook, so for the later DCC standard they tried to up the resolution to 18bit, unfortunately that standard never got anywhere.

2) AD/DA on the Korg A1 is 16bit. (to be DAT compatible)
The GSP2101/2112/2112 were 18bit.
The current generation of units, including both the AxeFX and 1101, are 24bit.

3) for DSP internally the signal path needs to be much wider, this is why all Digitech machines (2101,2112 1101, DSP24 etc.) are 48bit internally. The AxeFX is only 32bit.

Toneboy said:
parameters for the amp models in the Axe-FX are:
- Bright
- Drive
(..)
again you're making the AxeFX appear better than it actually is in comparison to the 1101.

1) you're talking about parameters, but forgetting voicings, both have about 40 different amps models (from an RJC120 via a Plexi to a Legacy or Übershall.) but the 1101 has 25 cabinet models as well. In the AxeFX you will need to tweak those yourself. The AxeFx does have more parameters than the 1101's five param. But 40*25 is 1000 amp models for the 1101!

I know there are amps with more than 5 parameters, but many of these, as well as the AxeFX params, are nothing more but interactive EQ, which IS available on the 1101.

2) what the AxeFX basically allows you to do is adjust the preamp voicings, tubes, power tubes, cab m/trafo matching etc. But modifying the power section on a Bassman gets you in JTM45 or Plexi territory, modifying a JCM900 moves you towards Soldanos, etc. Why not simply choose the Plexi or Soldano preset?

Also a lot of parameters in the powersection and cabinet voicings are irrelant if you're plugging into a tube poweramp, which is still how a lot of people (me including) prefer their setup.

Some of the AxeFX' params actually simulate worn tubes or mismatched speaker impedances, which are really quite pointless.

3) Both the AxeFx and 1101 offer stompbox simulations separate from the amp model (~20 distortion types, giving 20.000 voicings on the 1101)

So if you want Vai, on the 1101 you can easily select a TS808 into a Legacy (both available) for Vai's current tone, or TS9 into JCM900 for PAW type sounds.

If you want Slash select JCM800, want Maiden, add a ProCo in front of the JCM800. Petrucci? use a distorted Mesa, Metallica? Clean Mesa with MT2 in front.

A Plexi will give you the Who, add a Fuzz Face in front and you've got Hendrix...etc.

The Fuzz Face originally only had two knobs, why would you want to tweak that with seven parameters, like on the AxeFX? The 1101 simply offers the two original controls (fuzz+volume)

On the AxeFx you can do the same things, but then you can also tweak it to get the JCM900 to sound as if it's got 6L6 tubes, or run it into 50s era paper coned 10W cabinets and you can get the Fuzz Face sound but with other op-amps, I mean come on...who asked for that?

the 1101's effects are very limited compared to the Axe-FX whose effects are in the same class as the Eventide Eclipse
I'd like to know where you got that idea from? The effects are as powerful and of the same quality, but with less tweakability. Digitech tried the full tweakability route on the 2101 and as it turned out customers simply didn't want that level of flexibility. For example the 1101 uses 6 reverb voicings with 4 parameters, while the 2101 had 7 reverbs. The most complicated of which had 23 parameters (!), it's easy to see why they dropped that.

rastachild said:
the gsp1101 is more than sufficient at $400. tone is definitely subjective, but the tone i've heard from the axe fx does not justify the price, for me at least.
Indeed, the 1101 already does way more than some find necessary (see axemanrio) it can do 99% of what the AxeFx offers, at 25% of the price.

#23 ·
gotta say i do like the sound of the axe fx on those clips. may not be exactly like a tube amp, but it's close and it sounds good. but the price is what turned me off as i would never gig with it, but just use it for home practice and direct recording. and for that functionality, the gsp1101 is more than sufficient at $400. tone is definitely subjective, but the tone i've heard from the axe fx does not justify the price, for me at least.

#29 · (Edited)
for DSP internally the signal path needs to be much wider, this is why all Digitech machines (2101,2112 1101, DSP24 etc.) are 48bit internally. The AxeFX is only 32bit.
The 1101 is 48-bit fixed point. The Axe-Fx is 32-bit floating point. Floating point is much higher resolution than fixed point but floating point processors are much more expensive. The dynamic range of 32-bit floating point is nearly infinite in comparison to 48-bit fixed point.

1) you're talking about parameters, but forgetting voicings, both have about 40 different amps models (from an RJC120 via a Plexi to a Legacy or Übershall.) but the 1101 has 25 cabinet models as well. In the AxeFX you will need to tweak those yourself. The AxeFx does have more parameters than the 1101's five param. But 40*25 is 1000 amp models for the 1101!
You do NOT "have to tweak those yourself". The Axe-Fx has 39 cabinet models, 64 amp models and 11 microphone models. You can also load your own cabinet impulse responses into 10 user locations. Do the math.

2) what the AxeFX basically allows you to do is adjust the preamp voicings, tubes, power tubes, cab m/trafo matching etc. But modifying the power section on a Bassman gets you in JTM45 or Plexi territory, modifying a JCM900 moves you towards Soldanos, etc. Why not simply choose the Plexi or Soldano preset?
Simply wrong. By modifying the various parameters you can create your own amp. You can take the Soldano model and modify it. Your argument makes no sense.

Also a lot of parameters in the powersection and cabinet voicings are irrelant if you're plugging into a tube poweramp, which is still how a lot of people (me including) prefer their setup.

Some of the AxeFX' params actually simulate worn tubes or mismatched speaker impedances, which are really quite pointless.
And those same parameters are totally relevant if you're using a solid-state power amp or going direct. Again, another senseless argument.

There are no parameters that simulate worn tubes. You can adjust the transformer matching and this is a very powerful tool. Amp designers voice their amps by adjusting this.

Indeed, the 1101 already does way more than some find necessary (see axemanrio) it can do 99% of what the AxeFx offers, at 25% of the price.
The 1101 can only run one modulation effect per preset so you can't even run a phaser and flanger at the same time and you have no control over the location of the modulation effect. The Axe-Fx can run at least 12 effects simultaneously in any order with any combination of series or parallel routing. The Axe-Fx is vastly more powerful. The 1101 is a decent product but to suggest it rivals the Axe-Fx is delusional.

bm

#32 ·
I've spent about 9-10 hours with the Axe-FX now and I've managed to replicate the tone I get from my 3TM MP-1s w/ADA Ampulator. Actually, I didn't just replicate it, I improved it by cleaning the low end so it's tighter.

It's got that same bright/not harsh tone I love for metal and when notes sustain, I get those quasi-feedback midrange overtones that I love. I just hope my head does explode from the eargasms I'm having. :)

#35 ·
Prior to owning an Axe-Fx Ultra, I used the GSP1101 along with my Engl E660. What can I say?
The GSP isn't even close to be near the Axe-Fx. You simply can't compare the two, it is useless.
The amp sounds I achieved with the GSP sucked (maybe I was just too stupid to ditch this thing the right way), the effects weren't that great also. There was hardly one good highgain amp model on the GSP, on my ULTRA I have to decide from at least ten models which one sounds the best.
One good thing though, was the possibility to use effects before and behind your external preamp in the effect chain.
Well I sold my whole stuff after I got my ULTRA, bought a 100W poweramp for the use with my 4x12 Cab and I'm more satisfied than ever.
I know that most of the Axe reviews sound like commercials, but it's truely the way I feel.

#38 ·
USB outs aren't exactly considered "professional" quality which is why the Axe-FX has RCA SPDIF and AES/IBU XLR digital outs. If the sound card/interface for your computer doesn't have a SPDIF in then it is worthless....in my humble opinion of course. ;)

#37 ·
Dwezil Zappa is using fractals on the current ZPZ tour. I must say it sounded very full good low end, like a wall of marshals ... I wouldnt have known it was digital cept for the very nice sound guy who told me

I would go for one... but i kinda like having a big amp on stage ...

very glad your happy with it... I will definatly try one out

#40 ·
I got mine a month ago, and after all my gear searches, I found something that truly makes me not want anything else. I have had Line 6 amps (Flextones, Vetta, AX2), Marshall DSLs, TSLs, a Mesa Nomad, Mesa Triaxis/2:90/G-Major into Boogie cabinets with Vintage 30s....the whole shooting match.

This thing sounds incredible...and the most versatile gear I have ever had...it sounds exponentially better than even my best sounding rig, the Triaxis/2:90 combination, and that is through a QSC GX5 solid-state power amp into an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30s. I've heard it sounds even better through FRFR setups, but I haven't taken that plunge yet...but it's probably coming.

I am not much of a "drink the Kool-Aid" kind of guy...but man...this thing is the real deal.

#41 ·
I'm sure this thing is extremely versatile and everything, but I doubt I'll ever buy one. I dont know what it is about things like this, it was the same with my MP-1, and why I sold it after about a month. I cant stand not being able to tweak my tone by just turning a knob. The MP-1 is a PITA to adjust patches. Besides, I never really use that many different sounds so having 128 patches (with the MP-1) was really pointless for me. I think I had maybe 3 or 4 distorted tones and 2 cleans, that was enough for me.

I'm not having a go at it or anything, I'm sure modelling amps are the future of sound, and they have their place, but its just not for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.