Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I play mainly metal, in the studio I use Engl screamer/Peavey 6505+.

Whats the best software amp simulator that I should consider for my pro tools 9 daw? I don't want to spend any more than $200. I tried demoing few but sounds horrible through my normal floorstanding speaker, not sure if its going to sound any better with studio monitor. Btw I am using recabinet as well. This actually helps.

So anyone has any experience with this sort of setups?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Well, before you invest any money, I strongly suggest trying out some of the (very very) nice quality free amp sims. Acmebargig and Lepou make very nice and free soft-amps. They even make good emulations of the Peavey and Engl!

If you try those out, you will need a cab simulation as well. These are called "impulse responses". They are actually made from an actual cab being mic'd in a real space, so it is very realistic for the most part.
Some programs that support this are KeFir and Voxengo Boogiex. There are others too, and it should not be hard to find a impulse (IR) loader.
IRs are very small .WAV files. I recommend starting with the GuitarHack set. I don't have the link, but a simple google search will find it, and other good info.
To find out more about IRs, the guys at sevenstring.org and metalguitarist.org are pretty fanatical about those, as well as free amp sims. Of course, it would not be fair to mention those guys without mentioning these guys either. www.guitarampmodeling.com/
Not trying to draw fire from Jemsite, but these are good resources.

Just read where you said you have recabinet. That will do you well, but when I was trying it, it always sounded kinda dark? Either way, you might want to at least just try the IRs I mentioned.

As far as the paying guys, Amplitube and Guitar Rig in their current versions are very equally matched. They each have unique strengths and weaknesses. I use the free version of each, but have gotten to where I bypass the cabs and use IRs. I know AT3 has very nice 'custom shop' content, including an Engl, which sounds very realistic.
Guitar rig in my opinion has slightly better amp models perhaps, but that is subjective.

Haven't used it, but a lot of people like studio devil and pod farm.

Hope that answered something. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, before you invest any money, I strongly suggest trying out some of the (very very) nice quality free amp sims. Acmebargig and Lepou make very nice and free soft-amps. They even make good emulations of the Peavey and Engl!

Hope that answered something. :)
Hey mate, thanks. But these free soft amps are vst plugins unfortunately. I need Rtas for pro tools :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry to say rtas is a heavy limitation at least in the current guitar vplug-in market.

You could try the studio devil amp modeller though, not the latest technology but its simple and with some tweaking (presets suck) its not bad at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.