Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been on the lookout for a new guitar, and have stumbled upon two interesting options: A 1989 540P-II which has seen better days (dirty, some fretwear) for $700-$760 (still haggling) and a mysterious USA Custom for $340-$400.

However, I'm sort of puzzled when it comes to identifying the USA Custom, so I ask you your help. The ad says Floyd Rose Tremolo, EMG pickups, EMG booster, and Jumbo Frets.

Could you please see what you can make of these pics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
That is not by any means a real USA Custom. It looks like an RG560 project guitar with a USA custom decal. The gotoh floyd and the aria pro II tuners throw it off. I wouldn't pay $300 for this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so! Thank you very much, you saved me a lot of pondering.

EDIT: I also noticed that I screwed up the conversion process and converted from danish currency to euro on the USA custom instead of USD. So it would actually be $450-$500. Woops.

·
Registered
730 Posts
That headstock looks REALLY small in relation to the logo. And of course that high E tuner.

Am I right that the serial number on the back of the headstock says F043217? It's a little hard to read.

If that is the serial number, then it's definately not a USA custom. IF this is a real Ibanez and that's the right serial number, this guitar was made in the Fuji-gen Plant in Japan in 1990, as product number 43217.

Please correct me if I read the serial wrong and let me know what it really is.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got it right, Pursuit. Just for the record, real USA customs are made in Bensalem, right?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
the trem cavety is too small for an edge bridge.so it is strainge.it looks like that is original with that body.the headstock logo?im not too sure about its fake.there are different types.
is it a prototype?or a selfmade?

where is DEE? come on tell us more about this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
also, i was sure that the usa customs had ebony fretboards?
and if they did a solid black one..im sure it would have an ebony board..

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
OK, the neck is true USA custom neck, it was made by fujigen in japan. serial number looks OK to me.
the tuning machines are from Aria Pro II.? someone must change it.
the body looks strange with the gotoh tremolo system, yes it should be edge or lo pro edge, not a gotoh..
my best bet is : frankenRG.. neck from USA custom series, others from different brand of self made.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
also, i was sure that the usa customs had ebony fretboards?
and if they did a solid black one..im sure it would have an ebony board..
where did you get those information? do you refer to LACS?
USA custom as you might known, the USA part of the job was only to assembly and finishing of the guitar, the body and neck were made in japan by fujigen.
there are many usa custom guitars with rosewood and maple fretboard, anly small batch of them has ebony.. very rare..

if you are talking about american master series, that's different story.

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
I'd wager this is a bitser, put together from various parts of whatever was around.

I'd also state that the trem appears at first glance to be the same type of Gotoh Floyd as used on things like top notch ESPs and Suhrs so I don't think that's too bad a system.

I'd assume that it's aUSA custom neck on a 560 body. But I'm no parts expert and would hope that Dee chimes in on this thread if he's around.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Are the Gotoh and the Edge FRs directly interchangeable?
I mean, is the routing the same, since Edge is manufactured by Gotoh?

It has the "good" tremposts from an Edge family trem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just get the 540P! :p
I bet you I am! It's in a crusty stinking piece of wood, and I can't wait to get dirty with it. It'll be my first advanced guitar restoration, and I am gonna start posting a photo series/help request of the whole process as soon as it arrives at my door. It's gonna be great fun, at least for me :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Are the Gotoh and the Edge FRs directly interchangeable?
I mean, is the routing the same, since Edge is manufactured by Gotoh?

It has the "good" tremposts from an Edge family trem.
no.the fr2 isnt interchangeable.from edge to fr2 is possible.but from fr2 to edge not.
so thats not possible with that body.i have seen a signature ibanez with the fr2 original routed and installed in it.and i have a "prototype" rg550 with the same trem.and my guitar is totally original.so it is possible that this is a very rare model.or it is not an ibanez body with a usa neck.im not sure.so part the neck and the body and see.i like the guitar a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts