Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
and so are the evo's, but i dont know why the edge3 is better than the edge pro2?
It's not any better or worse, Ibanez just doesn't have to pay a royalty fee to Floyd Rose because it's not a low profile trem.

However the upside is Edge III trems can be changed with OFR's with no routing.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I'll chuck in my two bob's worth here - in two different shops here in Sydney, we have a JEM7VWH, and in the other a spankin' JEM 555 - from a distance they are very similar - HOWEVER - the overall build quality of the 555 is light years away from the 7VWH - the VWH is an extraordinarily impressive guitar, the finishing, fretwork, build quality and setup are as good as you could possibly expect from any major guitar builder

The 555, which I played for about an hour (before abandoning it to a PRS McCarty) just feels basically like a tricked up RG321 - square, boxy, stiff, a totally different guitar in every possible way, save for the EVO pickups. Maybe with some savage working you could get one to start approaching the feel of a 7VWH, but if I was in the market for one of the above, I'd be looking at a 2nd hand VWH over any 555 any day of the week.

I wasn't expecting to feel such a difference, totally amazed - I don't know what is different about the finish the Japanese guitars have on the back of the neck compared to the MIKs, but if they chose to make one major upgrade to the MIKs, this would have to be it!

Cheers

David

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I wasn't expecting to feel such a difference, totally amazed - I don't know what is different about the finish the Japanese guitars have on the back of the neck compared to the MIKs, but if they chose to make one major upgrade to the MIKs, this would have to be it!
The 555 neck also seems to be a little more "D" shape than a Jem, and slightly fatter too. Not to mention they have Jumbo frets.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts