Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Some suggestions please ?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  wandereruk05 
#1 ·
Need some suggestions from all you guitar pros out there.

I'm in the market for a new guitar, with these specs;

24.75 scale
Thinner neck
Good upper fret access
Less than £1000

I have been bless with stupid stumpy hands/fingers and the larger scale length just gets uncomfortable for me.

My confusion here is laying on the side of a thin flat neck would be wider, but a rounder one I'd struggle to get my hand comfortably round the neck whilst retaining playability? Sadly where i am there is ONE guitar shop and all they stock is mid level Ibanez, epiphone/gibson and some other random guitars that are way overpriced.

#2 ·
Maybe take a look at the PRS SE line. I don't think they have a 24.75" scale on that line, but I know the PRS SE Custom 24 is 25". I played on one the other day and thought it was very easy to play and I also have short fingers. Andertons have them in stock: http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...-bevelled-top-version-in-tobacco-sunburst.asp

That said, I also have wide hands, and playing on a 25.5" is no problem at all. In fact I prefer it to the shorter scales.

#4 ·
I don't have a JS to compare, so hard to say. The radius of the fretboard is definitely closer to a strat though than a wizard.

I feel silly cause there is the ART and ARZ Ibanez guitars that sort of fit your description as well, and those are fixed bridges. But the radius is 305mmR instead of the usual 400 and 430.

#9 ·
just a quick update on this for anyone that's interested...

guitar shop actually had some ESP guitars in now. tried out the EC-100, not too bad and i'm sure the quality goes up the range when you get into the 1000s.

Fairly comfortable to play, but i found that the strings were a little to close together and playing was more effort.

They just so happened to also have a PRS SE Soapbar in stock, and after a quick search its the Wide-Fat neck with a 25inch scale. A LOT more comfortable to play and sounded a whole lot better.

I note the SE Custom 24 also has the same scale, but the 245 is the shorter of the two and with the same neck I think i'm sold. PRS it is!

Anyone with any experience on these guitars?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.