Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been messing around with the Virtual Guitar creater. I made a few tonight, as well as a few Les Pauls and a strat. Its a really cool program, it will help me come up with ideas before painting a guitar. Heres a few I did.......tonight is the 1st time I've used this, can't wait to come up with some more stuff

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Kingwood blackburst, Titanium Pickguard, Ebony

Puke Green Flame, Ebony

Purple Pimp Jem, Bloodwood

Orange Flame with Black Sharkfins, Rosewood

1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks! Glad you like it!

I hate clear pickguards on a sweet paint job. Question......Whats the deal with everybody here being Anti-pickup rings? All the high end guitars have them, PRS, Baker, Carvin, ESP, McNaught, Warrior, Brian Moore, etc etc. Everytime people here see pickup rings their like "ewwww, get rid of the pickup rings!" And I don't get it, I'm like ewww, get rid of that clear pickguard. None of the high end guitars that have crazy tops, like spalted maple, awesome quilt or flame, buck eye burl, etc have clear pickguards....if their are any they are in the minority of exotic wood guitars with a clear pickguard. Almost none of the awesome top Prestiges or J-Customs have them either. Why not? I like to think its b/c the guitar companies realize as well that it doesn't look good, and it takes away from the beauty of the wood, or paint job.

All my custom guitars I'm making right now that are 11 to 13 piece multi-laminate exotic woods will have metal pickup rings. A pickguard just looks cheap in my opinion.

If I have a fancy figured wood I don't want to cover it with anything, even if its a clear pickguard. If the person playing the guitar is playing something like a prestige, j-custom or one of the other high end fancy woods non pickguard guitars then they are more than likely going to be good enough to play it without scratching the paint all up with their pick. I don't like the look of direct mount either, it looks too plain or "naked" to me 75% of the time. I hate seeing that big gap all the way round the pickup, especially on the sides.

Everybody has different tastes tho, that just my personal tastes. The only Ibanez's I like pickguards on are swirls and bodies that are routed in the front of course.

1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Pickp rings are for carved tops.
Really? Hmmm, this isn't a carved top....

Their for flat top guitars as well. Thats why their are TWO different types of pickup rings.....arched bottoms and flat bottoms. I agree a pickguard looks good on a DNA, like I said, I like them on swirls. I do not like them on extoic woods, and 90% of the high end Ibanez's with exotic tops don't have pickguards, and their not a carved top.

Take a look at the guitars below.....all have exotic wood tops, and are flat tops. All have either pickup rings or none.....but take note this is how they came from the factory. If you put a clear pickguard over these beautiful woods it would really take away from the wood and overall cleanliness of the front of the guitar. You won't find any guitars with exotic wood tops that have clear pickguards, at least I haven't seen any. If there was one it would probably look better with no pickguard, but like I said, its all a matter of opinion, I just think pickup rings look cleaner.

Imagine if these had clear pickguards.....ewwww

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Those are not Jems...my point is that Jems need pickguards.

Mounting rings are definitely not part of the Jem equation. It just doesn't work with a middle PuP. In general, rings don't look good with single coils.

IMHO you don't need rings unless you have a carved top, then I can understand their use.

I just wanted to show how I think a figured top could work on a Jem, without becoming too "classic", too "antique coffee-table", which I just don't want the Jem to be, there are already great flamed JC's and loads of other brands do nice tops...

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Thanks! Glad you like it!

I hate clear pickguards on a sweet paint job. Question......Whats the deal with everybody here being Anti-pickup rings? All the high end guitars have them, PRS, Baker, Carvin, ESP, McNaught, Warrior, Brian Moore, etc etc. Everytime people here see pickup rings their like "ewwww, get rid of the pickup rings!" And I don't get it, I'm like ewww, get rid of that clear pickguard. None of the high end guitars that have crazy tops, like spalted maple, awesome quilt or flame, buck eye burl, etc have clear pickguards....if their are any they are in the minority of exotic wood guitars with a clear pickguard. Almost none of the awesome top Prestiges or J-Customs have them either. Why not? I like to think its b/c the guitar companies realize as well that it doesn't look good, and it takes away from the beauty of the wood, or paint job.

All my custom guitars I'm making right now that are 11 to 13 piece multi-laminate exotic woods will have metal pickup rings. A pickguard just looks cheap in my opinion.

If I have a fancy figured wood I don't want to cover it with anything, even if its a clear pickguard. If the person playing the guitar is playing something like a prestige, j-custom or one of the other high end fancy woods non pickguard guitars then they are more than likely going to be good enough to play it without scratching the paint all up with their pick. I don't like the look of direct mount either, it looks too plain or "naked" to me 75% of the time. I hate seeing that big gap all the way round the pickup, especially on the sides.

Everybody has different tastes tho, that just my personal tastes. The only Ibanez's I like pickguards on are swirls and bodies that are routed in the front of course.
The reason I suggested a clear pickguard is because I'm not a big fan of direct mounted pickups either. With that said, I think pickup rings detract from the appearance of a guitar also. Especially when combined with a H-S-H configuration (a main feature of a JEM). At least a quality clear pickguard serves several purposes..... it allows the natural beauty to still show, eliminates direct pickup mounting, and serves to protect the finish from play wear. Granted you have to pull them every so often to clean behind them, but that's just part of guitar maintenance. The pickup rings like you say are on many brands of guitars and were originally used to help with pickup installation in archtop guitars. On some models they do look OK or complement the face appearance. But it seems everyone and their brother uses them and just looks too "common" to me. It would be nice if someone would design a hidden cradle allowing you to mount pickups in a beautiful piece of wood. And, that would eliminate both the pickup ring and clear pickguard while still maintaining an "isolated" type installation. Just a thought. BTW you can't just call a "super strat" guitar with a grip and two humbuckers a JEM. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts