Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its winter..its effing cold and I was itching to do some kind of project. While rooting around under the work bench I found an old explorer copy body and neck which was my 1st ever project. It turned out not so good the 1st time and I ended up parting it out soon after. I though, " I should do something wild with this".. so here is what happened.
I was looking for a "rat rod" look so I bought some spray paint and did a few coats of red, bright orange, gray, then black. It was around 10 to 15 degrees outside so I would run out to the garage, spray a quick coat and run in, guitar on hanger, and hang it in the basement to dry. When I sprayed the black, it started to shrink in some areas( probably due to the cold) and I got a cool crackle effect. Then I took the hand sander to it. A quick shot of clear, a few spare parts and this is what I ended up with.. to me it looks like it was dipped and pulled from a volcano. I dubbed it "The Exploder"

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's odd as hell, but I like it for some reason. I'd cap it off with a black bridge, tuners, and nut and call it a day. :D
yes! black hardware eventually. I just used whatever parts I had at the time. I actaully have a black nut here somewhere... good call

1 - 4 of 4 Posts