Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been searching for one of these for 15 yrs lol. Found one and been talking to the guy. Check the listing and pics he sent me after I requested them.
things that don’t seem legit:

1) the swirl looks cool yet it’s not very Ibanez-like meaning it seems overly exaggerated. The swirls just seem a bit sloppy and overly done!

2) zoom in on bridge rear edge the gloss finish appears to have light pitting? Amateurish job.

3) bass side of neck pup route looks mashed up!

4) HAS NO serial NUMBER!!! Guy says in listing that he “peeled it of back of headstock” but I don’t think they ever put them there and his listing never showed the neck plate I had to request that pic and of course the plate IS WRONG!! He said somebody else stated some plates were blank but I believe that was only for the UV77RE not the original plus the REs had the number on the fretboard and this doesn’t have none of them details.
5) the edge of inlay looks like a sticker or just sloppy work?
6) HE TOLD ME THE RESERVE after I asked (likely trying to entice me and make a quick buck)
Anyway, I’m calling B*s** on this one, check it out. Let me know what you all think.
Bill

String instrument Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Guitar

Automotive lighting Grille Bumper Hood Trunk

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts
I’m not an expert on Universes as I have enough trouble with just 6 strings, but I’d say that the Edge trem as opposed to a Lo Pro Edge and the faded swirl makes me think very early MKR swirl.

Can’t explain the neck plate though...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Neck plate looks weird but the listing mentions it was replaced (why?), and of course scrubbing off the Ibanez logo and serial number are weird?. That said, things like filler in the inlays is completely normal for old Ibanez models, guitar looks real to me but I'd like to see more photos of the back of the neck.

Don't think it is fake but I'd be concerned if the seller doesn't have answers for all the missing bits, to be honest though if you really want this model why settle for something like this that has been used, abused and neglected?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neck plate looks weird but the listing mentions it was replaced (why?), and of course scrubbing off the Ibanez logo and serial number are weird?. That said, things like filler in the inlays is completely normal for old Ibanez models, guitar looks real to me but I'd like to see more photos of the back of the neck.

Don't think it is fake but I'd be concerned if the seller doesn't have answers for all the missing bits, to be honest though if you really want this model why settle for something like this that has been used, abused and neglected?
Because I think I can get a good price lower than the typical 7000 price tag

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good evening (at least in my time zone).

I am the guy who is selling the fake guitar.
I‘m still thinking about whether I like it that pictures I sent in private to a person suddenly appear on the Internet without my consent.
Maybe I‘m just a bit of a sensitive plant in this instance.
But when I read what was stated about me here initially, I am having a hard time if the person in question would do any bidding on the instrument. Even though the money from the auction is meant to be used for a more or less fancy vacation with my wife and kids.
If I answer questions, I usually do it because I think that is the proper way to operate.

I did not really anticipate the resonance when I put it up for sale and must say I am a bit astounded.
Initially I was reluctant to take off the neck as afraid of accidentally fckng the guitar up. But as many people asked for it, I did it now anyway.

Wood Sleeve Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

Rectangle Wood Paint Nail Font

What does this tell educated people,please?
Is it legit?
Is it a replacement neck?
is it a fake guitar?
I for sure dont know.

And no, the guitar is not stolen.
I now own this guitar for abt. 25 years and I explained in the article description why 20 year old me thought it to be a good idea to remove the serial from the headstock. When I said „plaque“ I did not mean the neck plate (and I never stated that in the article description) but a „thick plastic sticker“ with a serial number on the headstock.
As people at that time also constantly told me that this is probably the ugliest guitar in the world and how I could own that thing, I didnt think too much of it. I thought nobody would ever be interested in that kind of guitar.
If only I knew.

And no, the Ibanez logo was not wiped off the headstock. The guy I bought it from thought that the neon green was ugly, so he painted it over in black.
The Ibanez logo is visible underneath.
And I still very much wonder why he thought the rest of this very colorful guitar wasnt such a big deal.

And just out of curiosity: what is an „MKR swirl“,please?
Thank you.

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts
Well, as I said earlier, I'm not an expert on Universes, but I'd say that this is a real one. :)

An MKR is an abbreviation for Mustard Ketchup Relish from the light yellow, pink/red and green colours of the swirl and refers to the guitars that were swirled in Japan as opposed to ATDs (About Time Designs) that are swirled in the USA

Thanks for joining and giving us the low-down on the guitar. I for one really like the crazy swirl, it's one of the best MKRs I've seen :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I’d say that 3K is fair considering it has no SN anymore and the headstock painted over. If the OP want’s to buy it to play gig’s with, those things probably don’t matter as much as it would a collector.

@TheguywhosellsTHATguitar don’t be upset that your pics wound up on our site. The things that were listed in earlier posts are common red flags. But, if the headstock has merely been painted over, the new finish could be removed, and you could probably get more money. It is too bad you removed the SN though. Most dealers would be reluctant to buy it without that, even at a great price.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

I‘m still thinking about whether I like it that pictures I sent in private to a person suddenly appear on the Internet without my consent.
Don't take offense to him asking questions about the guitar here and posting pictures. A lot of people have experienced scams and he doesn't know you anymore than I know you... It's not a Personal attack on you, it's just him using an abundance of caution. Plus it's nice for the rest of us who don't know what we're looking at. We learn what to look for if there's a fake of what ever guitar is being discussed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This would make a good Bruno candidate.
The explanations for the facts about the guitar are either contrary to other known facts about these guitars, or are convoluted. They are enough to make my gut say this one is worth avoiding.
Apologies, even though I read through the linked thread I didn‘t exactly get the reference. Is this an attempt to recreate certain finishes from the past?

Goddamn if this continues I might start to develop an interest in this aspect of guitars.

·
Registered
35 Posts

But when I read what was stated about me here initially, I am having a hard time if the person in question would do any bidding on the instrument. Even though the money from the auction is meant to be used for a more or less fancy vacation with my wife and kids.
If I answer questions, I usually do it because I think that is the proper way to operate.

I did not really anticipate the resonance when I put it up for sale and must say I am a bit astounded.
Initially I was reluctant to take off the neck as afraid of accidentally fckng the guitar up. But as many people asked for it, I did it now anyway.

View attachment 20376
View attachment 20377
What does this tell educated people,please?
Is it legit?
Is it a replacement neck?
is it a fake guitar?
I for sure dont know.

And no, the guitar is not stolen.
I now own this guitar for abt. 25 years and I explained in the article description why 20 year old me thought it to be a good idea to remove the serial from the headstock. When I said „plaque“ I did not mean the neck plate (and I never stated that in the article description) but a „thick plastic sticker“ with a serial number on the headstock.
As people at that time also constantly told me that this is probably the ugliest guitar in the world and how I could own that thing, I didnt think too much of it. I thought nobody would ever be interested in that kind of guitar.
If only I knew.

And no, the Ibanez logo was not wiped off the headstock. The guy I bought it from thought that the neon green was ugly, so he painted it over in black.
The Ibanez logo is visible underneath.
And I still very much wonder why he thought the rest of this very colorful guitar wasnt such a big deal.

And just out of curiosity: what is an „MKR swirl“,please?
Thank you.
I think all you can say for sure is that you didn’t steal it :)

The missing serial number says to me it’s at least reasonable to wonder if it may have been stolen by someone at some point.

People are unpredictable and do the strangest things without any suspicious motives. It’s completely possible the generic plate points to the guitar just being a bitser. Or, Jem/UV/RG neck plates often get corroded and worn and maybe the owner didn’t like that. Who knows?

The fact I couldn’t be sure would nag at me if I bought it. That’s just how I am 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
101 Posts
I own one of the other UV77MCs with this type of swirl pattern. Same Edge bridge too. Some of the MKR's just had this tighter swirl pattern. The Neck plate had been swapped on this one as well, seems some people just don't pay attention to that when working on guitars... I actually have pictures of the original plate and the new plate for mine from the seller. But as someone who owns a similar finish, I'd say its legit.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts
Also, I’m not sure that the MCs did have serial numbers on the back of the headstock, model numbers perhaps, but I don’t recall any of my swirls ever having a serial number other than on the neck plate.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts