Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure alot of you have trouble when writing songs, as i know i do.

im wondering what tips and tricks everyone uses for songwriting.

for example what processes do you go through whether its solo, or band based.

Also what other slightly quirky/strange things might you do in a home/pro studio,
for example lighting candles (no drugs or drink, thanks), or a certain way of setting up your equipment.

over to everyone

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Most important, that if you have a way that works for you equipment wise, dont think that by constantly changing your equiipment or software for the latest version, will help. You want to spend more time writing music, then figuring out new software and new equipment etc... Anything that takes away time from actually writing music, should be kept to a minimum. in the end writing full songs is hard work and I found many times, I had to really push myself to finish off a song...

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
This can get very subjective - there is no "best" way to write. I've found that most everyone I know develops their own procedures.

I normally start out with an idea - maybe a lick or a hook - and build it from there. You need to really stop and think where you want it to go and what you want to accomplish before you turn on the recording equipment. I approach an instrumental differently than a ballad.

Lyrics are hardest for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, my approach to song writing usually goes like...

Basically I'll just be playing a game/watching movie as per usual and I'll hear a neat melody. So I then work it out by ear, copy paste it and rip it off.

More melodiez = more bitches.

So I'll be ripping loads of melodies off and then I'll piece them together, maybe one as a chorus the other as a verse etc.

For the rhythm I just use powerchords relating to the melody notes.

Then for the solo I'll just copy paste the verse and chorus' rhythm and solo over them using the same 5 licks I've been using for ever.
If I'm feeling crazy maybe I'll throw in an open chord.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts