Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I live in the UK, and I'm considering importing an American PSP unit, becasue I can't be bothered to wait until september for the UK release.

I'm aware I'll have Regional Problems with UMD films, but to be honest that's not an issue to me.

What I am interested in however, is User feedback on the American end, as to the best games and the systems general performance. Any help given will be invaluable!.

Cheers in Adcance,

Spike

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Ah so UK's in the same boat as Australia. Talk about a load of bollocks taking so long to come out outside of Japan and the states. The Ridge Racer game for PSP is supposed to be really good, read some favourable reviews on it. Great graphics too for a portable hand-held console.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LonePhantom said:
Ah so UK's in the same boat as Australia. Talk about a load of bollocks taking so long to come out outside of Japan and the states. The Ridge Racer game for PSP is supposed to be really good, read some favourable reviews on it. Great graphics too for a portable hand-held console.
Lmao, Yeah, the delay in getting the unit released actully got me into buying a Nintendo DS, and with regards to that console I feel conned. There are next to NO filtered texture capabilities in the hardware so all the 3D games look like blocky N64 clones, and the launch titles have ALL been rushed to get them out in time. Except for a few decent graphics here and there the system has been somewhat of a disapointment to me.

Which is why I'm so interested in getting an imported PSP!

·
Registered
623 Posts
One thing to keep in mind--PSPs have a notoriously high rate of defective LCDs. It's pretty common to get a PSP with several always on / always off pixels. Fortunately, Sony recently changed their policies and they'll exchange your unit if you have bad pixels. Make sure that your importer will exchange your PSP for you unless you're willing to live with bad pixels. The screen, when it does work, is a really high quality display. Nice and bright, with high resolution.

Other performance related things--you've probably heard about this, but the battery life isn't too great. Expect 1.5-3 hours on a charge. Also, some games have really long load times.

As for games, the best games seem to be Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, and Lumines. I only played Ridge Racer for a few minutes so I can't comment too much on it but it seems to get high marks. Wipeout is what you'd expect. If you like Wipeout, it's a good port. Lumines is a very cool puzzle game. Insanely addictive.

·
Registered
541 Posts
there is ONE dead pixel on my PSP screen and frankly it doesn't matter. When you play a game you'll never notice. The only reason I saw it was from Lumines's loading screen which was all black, and I could barely see the faint blue dead pixel on the left side of the screen. The unit is great, for all racer fans even better. The sports genre isn't too bad either. I'd like to see more RPG games come out though.

I own a few games, wipeout pure, lumines, metal gear acid, and FIFA. All are very good games. Personally MGA deserved much higher scores then it got.

good luck finding a PSP :) there are tons on eeevilbay

There are NO REGION ENCODINGS ON UMD GAMES! Meaning you can buy a system from anywhere on the planet, and play any UMD game on the planet. IMO the PSP is a fine machine, but expensive.

·
Registered
541 Posts
yea but once you load you can just turn it off and it'll save state and you can go back to it any time. That's the best part about the PSP. The loading isn't that bad. I have some of the slower loading games (wipeout pure and fifa), doesn't stop me from playing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a Japanese PSP today along with a 32Mb Memory card and an amercan copy of wipeout pure.

The quality is insanely good, and the gameplay is just fantastic.

I have one dead pixel down the the left corner, but it doesn't bother me.

I'm going to experiment with getting some vids on and stuff in the coming days.

spike

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Nice! Enjoy it. I was going to import one but can't afford it just now as I'm building my new guitar so funds need to go there. Come September majority of my axe should be completed so I will be able to buy one on release in AUS.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I was against getting one until I read on slashdot that people are already hacking them and have loaded them with emulators and games so they can play NES, SMS, Genesis and other games with them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
elcid said:
I was against getting one until I read on slashdot that people are already hacking them and have loaded them with emulators and games so they can play NES, SMS, Genesis and other games with them.
Don't forget SNES and GBC! Kickass!

If you really want to do this, though, make sure you do the proper research. As I understand it, only the Japanese 1.00 version firmware allows you to run unsigned binaries.

Here's the slashdot story, for anyone who's interested:

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/01/1215214

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
moro said:
Don't forget SNES and GBC! Kickass!

If you really want to do this, though, make sure you do the proper research. As I understand it, only the Japanese 1.00 version firmware allows you to run unsigned binaries.

Here's the slashdot story, for anyone who's interested:

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/01/1215214
yeah, I just tried to download some software, my Jap 1.5 PSP wouldn't run it.

Pitty, Hopefuly someone wil release a new version of homebrew for 1.

That, or someone finds a way to downgrade the firmware :(

oh well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts