Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up the very pretty guitar in this thread...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs-ibanez-jem-bfp-project-108747.html

Of course I will post more pics when it arrives. Until then I was wondering if seeking out an original neck would be a good idea, or if the 550 neck will hold it's own against the rest of the guitar...
If I don't get a new one I'll probably have ET guitars inlay the blue vine inlay and scallop the last 4 frets.

Is there a big quality/size difference between a 550 neck and a real Jem neck?

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Make sure he throws in the blue knobs and switch tip that you can see in the background in the first picture.

Personally, I kind of like it the way it is, but can see how you'd like a blue vine neck. I think the gold hardware is a huge improvement.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
So I just picked up the very pretty guitar in this thread...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs-ibanez-jem-bfp-project-108747.html

Of course I will post more pics when it arrives. Until then I was wondering if seeking out an original neck would be a good idea, or if the 550 neck will hold it's own against the rest of the guitar...
If I don't get a new one I'll probably have ET guitars inlay the blue vine inlay and scallop the last 4 frets.

Is there a big quality/size difference between a 550 neck and a real Jem neck?
RG necks and JEM necks have a different feel to them. HOWEVER, the 550 is a very very high quality guitar, so when you get it, if it feels good, keep it. It would be kind of a waste of money getting a neck you potentially might not like anyway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The cost of a neck if/when they become available is pretty steep. There are two original 777DY necks on the bay right now and they are both asking 800-900 USD!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
RG necks and JEM necks have a different feel to them. HOWEVER, the 550 is a very very high quality guitar, so when you get it, if it feels good, keep it. It would be kind of a waste of money getting a neck you potentially might not like anyway.
I absolutely agree!!!! The 550 neck, barring any defects, is and absolute dream to play on!!! It's an Original wizard profile, which is a bit thinner than a JEM neck.

My advise is to not change anything until you've played it for several months. Not knowing what your used to playing on, any wizard neck can take some time to get used to. I've been playing on them for 20+ years and truly would never want anything else. Not even a Jem neck.

Ryc

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
by the way, you bought from a really classy guy. Velocity is a totally straight shooting, honest person. You shouldn't expect any unwanted surprises on this guitar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts