Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm in the process of finishing my studio and need to get some foam up on the walls. more importantly, i need to insulate the soundbooth for vocals and guitar amps with the stuff as well. most of the recording, if not all, will be happening in this 4x4 booth. auralex is way too expensive and i found another site that sells the same stuff for a little less. i'm going with the 2" x 12" x 12" tiles. what can you recommend to deaden the sound in the closet? we just built this room to include the 4x4 closet. i insulated the walls then put the drywall up. what are you guys using for soundproofing in a soundbooth?

·
Registered
816 Posts
So wait, are you looking to soundproof or just improve acoustics? You cannot soundproof a room with foam, it is technically impossible. There are various methods available to soundproof, but it depends on your budget. Resilient channel works well for rooms with limited space.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awhile ago, i recorded at this studio where the engineer utilized a walk-in closet for the vocals and amps. the door is closed to the closet when the recording was going on. he had foam on the walls to cut down the sound and i wanted to do the same thing. the idea is to make it so as little sound as possible escapes this 4x4 closet we built. it's drywalled with insulation inside. i was hoping it would be good enough to cover it in the 2" foam tiles and close the door during recording. or maybe i should drape something heavy on all the walls instead, but i want it to look good too. maybe the foam tiles will be enough?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ethan is a barrel of info. To soundproof, you need double walls(2 sets of studs not touching each other) and double drywall(2 layers of 5/8" with the joints staggered. glue and screw and seal all the joints). For foam, go to www.foambymail.com as their stuff looks and acts just like Auralex at half the price. I have both and cannot tell the difference. go here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/albro1952/NewStudio#
and click on Slideshow to see how my space was built out for some ideas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
awhile ago, i recorded at this studio where the engineer utilized a walk-in closet for the vocals and amps. the door is closed to the closet when the recording was going on. he had foam on the walls to cut down the sound and i wanted to do the same thing. the idea is to make it so as little sound as possible escapes this 4x4 closet we built. it's drywalled with insulation inside. i was hoping it would be good enough to cover it in the 2" foam tiles and close the door during recording. or maybe i should drape something heavy on all the walls instead, but i want it to look good too. maybe the foam tiles will be enough?
The foam on the walls would have been to stop the echo and hollowness you get out of a empty room.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
although the soundbooth is not "soundproofed" like what i would have wanted, it is certainly VERY DEAD! 2" and 3" studio foam tiles on all walls and ceiling of the 4' X 4' soudbooth, with thick burbur (sp) grey carpet on floor. foam also on inside of door. looks cool and again, VERY DEAD. wish i had the time and money and space to truly soundproof. it works great and won't be an issue with noise, since it's in the basement anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts