Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've got a Peavey Transformer 112 (red stripe) with a Blue Marvel 12" speaker in it. I got a 12" Celestion Gold Back out of a Marshall, really cheap. I was wondering if it would sound better in my peavey? I play heavier type stuff (Pantera, old metallica), and Satriani type stuff. I've never heard of this blue marvel speaker?

Also, other than changing speakers, can you upgrade/ mod amps? I've got a Bugera 333XL that I did some cosmetic moding to, and changed tubes. But, can you do anything to a solid state amp to upgrade them?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got a cheap blackstar amp that the previous owner upgraded the KT88 vacuum tube on and put in a 12" celestion creamback.

He said the speaker upgrade made a huge difference. I never heard it before but it sounds good now!

·
Registered
216 Posts
My buddy had a Marshall Valvestate VS 65 that fed back terribly when approaching 4 or 5 on the volume knob. I changed the JJ 12ax7 for a coated Mesa 12ax7 type tube.

The tube is supposed to make it so it doesn’t feedback when put in position 1 on any normal amp. Fixed the problem. And it didn’t sound as fizzy as it did before. I wish I could remember the part number or the name of the tube.

All I know is the bass was tighter and the amp just sounded better after that. I think it was about 35 bucks IIRC.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do some searches on audiophile sites/forums and you'll find a whole world of solid state modding. Solid state sound is kind of pooh-poohed or at least not really taken as seriously by guitarists that consider classic rock tubes the holy grail, but people that are really into solid state sound fiddle around with their boutique solid state stuff just as much as tubes (not to say that audiophiles don't also worship tubes, and even more than us guitarists, but people who are into audio on a level other than playing guitar obsess over solid state electronics too). There's a lot out there.

Popular SS mods are often things like upgrading components to silver or gold (jacks, wiring) or circuitry like guitarists like to do with pups and stuff. Capacitors, resistors, pots, op amps.

Also, don't forget that along with speaker, the cab itself is a big impact on the actual sound that comes out, so looking into that is a good avenue for "modding" also.

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Speaker type and cab construction definitely play a part, and better quality components on a board like capacitors could play a part too, in terms of noise, etc, just like upgrading pedal components. Power supply upgrades can too, they are an option for tube amps, and I'm sure they'd have options for SS gear too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yup, I didn't mention that, but I should have. Great reminder. The power supply is arguably just as, almost as, or more important than, the physical components. (Included the whole spectrum of opinions because it's fodder for enthusiast debates, just like anything else. :geek::eek:)

In any case, it's a huge part of the equation. I'd definitely recommend doing some research (if nothing else, just because it's really interesting). Just like electrical components or circuitry or pups or tonewood or every other part of a guitar or amp that people make money selling, there's a lot of marketing bull**** out there to wade through. If you keep that in mind and stay on the middle road of objective information, in between the hype and the poo-poo'ers, you can at least walk away with some more knowledge, which is the key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts