Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've got a crackly volume pot on my 8 year old Jem 7 vsbl. I've changed volume pots on other cheaper Ibanezes... but in those cases there weren't any treble bleed capacitors and I could access the pot from the back of the guitar.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it most likely going to be the volume pot that's crackling as opposed to the capacitor?

2. If it's the pot that needs replacing I'd like to switch like for like. Would something like a Dimarzio Custom Taper 500k pot be an exact match?

3. Since there's no access from the back of the guitar to the electrics... it looks like I'll have to remove the pickguard... does that entail unscrewing every single screw including the pickup screws?

Last of all - if anyone has any other advice (like the option of cleaning it instead of pulling the guitar apart) please help a dude out!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
977 Posts
1. It's the pot that makes the scratchy sound.
2. Don't know, but there's at least 10 people on here that do and will hopefully chime in. ;)
3. You just have to remove the screws that hold the pickguard down. No need to touch the pickup screws.

You can always try squirting some electrical contact cleaner into the pot, it usually works(at least for me anyways) and requires the least amount of effort. Otherwise replace the pot(or have it professionally done if you're not confident on your soldering skills).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant, thanks for your reply! Very useful.

I will try cleaning the pots with contact cleaner first. I couldn't find any examples of anyone removing a jem pickguard anywhere but did find a youtube video of someone removing a strat pickguard and I see what you mean... the electronics are all attached to the bottom side of the pickguard so no need to unscrew anything but the outer screws.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone interested, I successfully took off the trem and lifted the pickguard, although the wiring didn't allow me to lift it more than a couple of inches, but it was enough to spray some switch cleaner onto the tracks of the volume pot.

It worked - the volume pot doesn't crackle at all. It's worth covering the guitar's paintwork with cloths when you replace the hardware, it saved my guitar a few times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts