Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve been playing thru tube amps for like 20 years but now I want to buy a digital thing to play with in my home only and I am totally lost in this new digital amp-world.

I have three favorites (don´t ask me why); Fender Cyber Deluxe, Line6 Spider III 75 and Line6 Flextone III.

So my questions are: Which should I buy, and why should I buy it??

Thanks! I really appreciate all input!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I´m aware of the Spider Valve, but it´s too expensive for me since I´m looking for an amp just to play with at home.

Anybody with experience from any of the other amps mentioned in the title?

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
I use a a line 6 spider II at home for practice.

I like it because it's very intuitive and easy to get an fun (not saying £tube purist") tone, then add a little delay or reverb. Job done, more time playing, less time dialling in.

I don't have long exteded periods of time to practice these days, so grabbing half an hour here and there is the only way I see my guitar, and the line 6 helps me avoid spending half of that getting my tone :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have owned or still own a Flextone, a Spider and a Vetta from Line 6. Of the three amps you mentioned, I would recommend the Flextone hands down. The Spider is an okay amp, but the effects are really limited as compared to the Flextone. I was really juiced about getting the Spider for a small practice/gig amp, but the effects can't be turned down enough to become subtle ...for example you cant get that mild EVH phaser tone from the good ol' days with the spider because even at it's most minimal setting it's way too heavy of an effect.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a a line 6 spider II at home for practice.

I like it because it's very intuitive and easy to get an fun (not saying £tube purist") tone, then add a little delay or reverb. Job done, more time playing, less time dialling in.

I don't have long exteded periods of time to practice these days, so grabbing half an hour here and there is the only way I see my guitar, and the line 6 helps me avoid spending half of that getting my tone :)
So what you´re saying is "Buy the Spider III", right? Also, this amp only costs half of the others.

·
Registered
563 Posts
IMHO the Cyber-Twin SE is much better than the Cyber Deluxe, the SE is more controllable and functional, and in my opinion a much more aesthetically pleasing look.

But Line6 makes good stuff too.

If I were personally to pick one it would be the Cyber Twin SE, followed by the Spider

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMHO the Cyber-Twin SE is much better than the Cyber Deluxe, the SE is more controllable and functional, and in my opinion a much more aesthetically pleasing look.

But Line6 makes good stuff too.

If I were personally to pick one it would be the Cyber Twin SE, followed by the Spider
The Cuber Twin SE is a REAL amp while the SpiderIII is more like a toy. I think it´s foolish to compare these two. The Cyber twin SE also cost like 5 times more than the Spider III.

But I´m looking for a toy to use in my home only, so I have just ordered one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the spider valve, the spider valve, the spider valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go for it!
Thanks for your "clear" recommendations millzy, but I already have a full-tube 50 watt combo, and basically I´m "tube-minded". But now I´m looking for the best modelling digital thing on the market. Perhaps I should have mentioned that. My fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well. I own a spider III 75 watt. And I must say. I'd trade it any day for a tube amp.

But as a digital modeling amp. It has done a good job of getting me close to tones. The clean is pretty good. But the thing I hate about my spider is the crunch. That amp doesn't believe in such thing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
so you are looking non-valve then..just some other's were refering to this amp above...thought id give my non-biased opinion having played it and loved it..only thing that put me off was it was very very gimicky..

id say my first amp...marshall MG100DFX...its great..but the major issue is marshall are pretty bad at the minute..all amps are now made in china and the quality has gone down significantly..my mg100's fan is broke and this happens to them all..its got great sound on offer...and i would recommend for non-valve but maybe im not hitting the direct target again?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts