Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PAF Pro in the neck and a D Sonic in the bridge of one of my RGs (2 humbuckers only) with the D Sonic bar facing the neck. The tones are great, however, I have a setting where the hums are split so the inner coils are in series (ala Petrucci clean). The clean tone this way includes the bar from the D sonic and has a more "hi-fi" sound than when using a pickup with traditional pole pieces. The tone is getting to a point where its becoming a deal breaker for that pickup in the bridge (and flipping it around is not an option, the bridge distortion tone becomes too bright for my liking)

My question is do you guys have any suggestions on a replacement pickups for my bridge? I haven't been in the market for a pickup for quite some time and not even sure what is out there now. Like I said, I like the tone of the D Sonic overall but the bar with the clean tone is a deal breaker now. I'd like to stick with Dimarzios if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
to split dimazios you use the black and white grounded and red as hot. If you use green as hot, and ground the red you are using the other coil of the pickup.

so you could try reversing the green and red wires.

If you are set on trying out another pickup, you may dig the Steve's Special. It isn't going to have the lower mid grunt of the d-sonic though and doesn't drive quite as hard because of it's lack of mids.

You may like the breed. It has similar mids but is a little more rounded. The upper mids are little cut a little to make for a smoother sound while retaining clarity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.