Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted some opinions here, I spotted what claims to be a Jem in a guitar shop locally.
The dealer claimed it was a real Jem "from the 80s" and wanted 750 for it.
It's certainly well built and "feels" like a Jem and not some wannabe crap copy, I've owned a Chibanez before and it felt or looked nothing like this.

It's like nothing I've seen before:

Body: Black but heavy glitter finish, very shiny glitter, mostly white in colour. Handle in the body like a jem, feels like alder as it's quite heavy, mirror pick gaurd installed, black hardware. Non AANJ standard fit neck like on the older Jems but nothing on the back of the plate, it's just black.

Trem: Lo-pro edge trem installed in black. Would have thought an older 80s Jem would have had an original Edge but I'm not certain when the lo-pro was introduced, also could have been swapped out obviously. Fairly sure this trem was used on guitars manufactured late 90's and early 2000's, certainly my 7VSBL and 7VWH from 2002 have lo-pro edges.

Neck: Very strange, has inlay shapes down the neck like a UV, similar pattern to an older 777 jem but not coloured. Frets 21 to 24 are scalloped. No serial on the back of the headstock, no markings on the back at all actually. Headstock has an Ibanez logo on it with a gold faded JEM decal on the end, all looks the right orientation and spacings.

Pickups: Definitely Dimarzio, look like they look like evo's to me, would have though an older jem from the 80s would be PAFs, the middle pickup is definitely an authentic Dimarzio jem pickup. ISCV2 or whatever it's called (without looking it up I'm unsure of the code :) )

It strikes me this guitar could be authentic, just another Jem model that has had a custom paint job? Unsure... the neck is very, very strange though. Never seen anything like it and it seems too good a quality to be a rubbish copy. Has anyone heard of a Jem like this before?

If I can get pictures i'll submit one but at the moment I don't have one.
Shop is only a couple of mins away from me so I can probably go back and pic it when I pick up my new SD full shred pickup.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The only Jem with white pyramids:

It should have the larger handle to be an original.

It could be the neck from a PBK, and a resprayed or aftermarket body. Kind of hard to tell. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah it's definitely an authentic PBK neck in that case...
Are they sought after? It looked incredibly well made and in good condition, so much so that I doubted that it was fake after a minute of looking.

I wonder what the body is, must be bolted on to a newer jem body with a paint job, because of the cosmo hardware I'm unsure, but it could be a 7VSBL.

Perhaps I'll buy it and find out, it seems heavy with a normal hand grip (bumpy, not smooth like the pbk).

Interesting!

Not sure I'm a fan of the finish though!
Perhaps I could strip it back down.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
VSBL got the AANJ neck joint, so a straight swap wouldn't work. :)

Hardware is easy to replace. Very difficult to verify model based on hardware alone. The only way to be sure is to look in the neck pocket. Model number should be stamped on both the neck and the body. Although the neck sounds very much like a PBK.

Sought after... I don't know. It's one of few thin Jem necks. It's a few mm slimmer than the original necks. Same thickness as the RG550 models.

Not saying it's bad, but some don't like it because of the thinner neck. Those who like thinner necks are just as well off with a RG550/750, which is usually less expensive than the PBK.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah right, thanks for the info.

I recently bought a Herc Fede swirl off a gent on here and when I took the thing apart I saw the neck was based on a 570. I own a 1570 RG anyway and get on with the thin neck, I do see what you mean about it being slightly thinner than a normal jem neck, I could tell that just from a minute or so of play.

Very true about the AANJ neck on the 7VSBL, I forgot about that.
I'd love to get my hands on it and take the neck off to see what body it actually was... perhaps i'll get my chance soon.

Paul

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you could do a lot worse for 750 quid. I've got a PBK......
(you can see it at the gallery, here on jemsite)

Of my 3 JEM's the PBK is my fave,..... because of the neck.

The wizard necks are just so playable. For that reason I'd be seriously tempted.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hrm ok, thanks for the advice.
I may well have a new addition soon then :)
I've asked the guy to take the neck off and find out what the body actually is, he was reluctant but I think he realised he'd have a lot more chance of selling it if he could tell me what it actually was...

more info when I get it!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Which shop?

I am going to Reading on business tomorrow, I could easily drop in.

Don't worry, I can't afford it, so there is no chance of me buying it!

Looks like "hollow flake" paint. I am sure I saw some bodies floating around in the bay a year or two ago.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's a 7DBK body.

I believe it's made off basswood, but I'm not sure.

It was a cheaper version, but a nice guitar.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yep, my bad.

Saw the picture and thought it was texture, but it's glitter.

Already thought it was strange nobody said 7DBK before :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah me too actually :)
That picture doesn't do it great justice and at first glance it could appear to be a 7DBK body, but it's actually completely flat and it's just the glitter you can see :)

Weird one eh!
I've asked the guy to take the neck off and see what the body is, see if it's an official Jem body that been resprayed etc. He was very reluctant at first but then I think he saw the potential £ signs and said he'd do it. God knows if he will...

Paul

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It can't be a DBK since the DBK was AANJ.

750 doesn't seem that bad, but it's clearly misrepresented ("jem from the 80s") It's not a Jem! It's not authentic in any way, it's a mongrel.

Which leaves the question is it really a PBK neck, a neck job done on an old 550 or a full custom job?

If so we might be talking about a 50$ body, with a 50$ neck, 50$ paint job, 150$ Pups and a 150$ inlay job. Neither of which is worth much 2nd hand.

I'd say shop around for a 2nd hand 1550 or similar...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I went to the shop and had a look at the guitar. The guy is selling it for a friend, who thinks (or at least it was sold to the owner) as a jem. Obviously I gave him the benefit of the collected wisdom of Jemsite, and told him that it wasn't ;)

Definately not an original pbk body or pickups. The trem was a lo-pro edge, although it seemed black rather than cosmo. The body did feel/sound like a basswood jem so I think it is likely that it is either a parts guitar, or somewhere there is a pbk body with a different jem neck on it. It had the angled jack etc, so even if it is a copy it would be hard to tell. Tone wasn't great, so almost definately a jem ;)

Stupidly I didn't plug it in, so I don't know about the pickups. The shop owner thought they were Dimarzio, but I said it was difficult to know unless we took it apart. Again he said he would do it if someone was really interested, but it wasn't "his" guitar to do it with. I don't think they were dimarzio; from memory they didn't have the "breather holes" in between poles 1 & 2 and 5 & 6. Someone better qualified than me would need to look at that

The neck looks original, although no tool holder, but I am not sure if they came with those. Nice dark wood on the fret board and good inlays, so it probably checks out. Definately a Jem neck, or a very credible copy, but I would say original. I played very well as you would have hoped. Neck plate is not original though.

Although I don't like the finish, it has been done very well, so even if this isn't an all original, it was done by someone with a bit of skill.

All in all, a pretty nice guitar but a bit of a stretch at the price. I would have to be sure that the PU's and body are genuine before I handed over cash. The shop owner is a decent guy and I don't get the feeling that he is trying it on with this one, He seemed really genuine.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
really cool guitar.its a parts guitar thats for sure.but if everything is original it can be a great guitar.i should go for painting the body and have a funny guitar!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yah the shop owner guy seems nice with it
i did let him know that I didn't think the body was legit when I went in there, obviously I've been around a bit and have a few jem's myself and I'd never seen the paint job etc before

I dont think he's trying to rip anyone off, I think his mate told him it was an original jem from the 80's (he actually said that to me in the shop) and he had no reason to disbelieve what he was told.
He did "assure" me it was authentic mind, although I told him at the time I'd want him to take the thing apart and look at the body to find out if it was real before I'd hand over any money.
It's a bit sad when someone is telling you "this is the real deal" when it's clearly not :(

He hasnt had a chance to do this yet apparently, he's not going to I reckon.
I'm not keen enough on the finish to pay that much money, even if the neck is authentic.
The pups did look like dimarzio evo's to me, I can't say for sure because now you mention the "breather holes" but I can't recall if I saw them or not either.

Ah well, 500 I might take it, but even that seems a lot for a potential pbk neck and copied body with crap pickups...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts