Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever painted an Edge trem? Did it wotk out good? Any tips or comments are welcome. Pics are also welcome.

thanks and a happy easter to everyone,
regards

Nelson

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
If you want the paint to come off and get parts stuck together so it doesn't work, go ahead and try it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want the paint to come off and get parts stuck together so it doesn't work, go ahead and try it.
I was thinking about dissassembling it completely and sanding it before painting....
Regards,
Nelson

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I would listen to elcid. It's pot metal, which I'm not too familiar with but I think it needs electroconducting paint or like an ESP type finish.
I think spray painting it would be a hot mess. Don't do it.

I think sanding it would be a worse idea...

·
Registered
137 Posts
No, I don't think it'll work at all. There is too much stress on the trem unit for starters, which would probably cause any spray paint to flake off. Then you have the moving parts to consider and the difficulty getting the paint to stick and getting it into all the nooks and crannies. I think all of the finishes that Ibanez offer are some kind of metal plating (gold, chrome etc...)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well... I left the guitar sitting for a few years and some parts oxidized.

Regards,
Nelson
Hi Nelson, the guys are right. You could try to find what kind of metal is used on the bridge, and then look for some cleaning tips on google. You could go for a clear finish, just sand off the paint and spray a few layers of varnish (?) on it.
I think there are some DIY cleaning techniques that get a real good result. Try looking for "Electrolysis Cleaning Method"

Btw, are you portuguese?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
It's a powder coat. Like Judasbanse said, there really isn't a DIY way to go.

IMO, you'd be better off saving your money and getting a new trem from the bay or from Rich.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Nelson, the guys are right. You could try to find what kind of metal is used on the bridge, and then look for some cleaning tips on google. You could go for a clear finish, just sand off the paint and spray a few layers of varnish (?) on it.
I think there are some DIY cleaning techniques that get a real good result. Try looking for "Electrolysis Cleaning Method"

Btw, are you portuguese?
hi korvus, yes I'm portuguese... thanks for your tips but after considering all the answers I got here I'm gonna live with the bit of oxidization. I'm gonna change the intonation screws, string lock screws and trem arm and voilá not too shabby. I think character is the name of the game here it just takes a little getting used to it when your trying to make yourguitar look almost new...

Regards and a happy easter to everyone

Nelson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts