Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone’s experience with switching spring out is? I’m looking at get the heavy duty springs and using 2 rather than the normal 3 the guitar came with

I know a lot of guys ditch the middle spring and it increase the sensitivity and flutter capability but I use 10s and wasn’t sure how well that would go with the 10s. I don’t want to dropthe resistance by a whole lot, maybe 10-25%?

I know there are those “raw vintage springs” made by Xotic that are supposed to be less “strong” like the old ones So you use 4 or 5 instead of 3. So I had considered trying them.

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts on springs.

Luke

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Depends on how I use the trem. On my main guitar I do have the Raw Vintage ones, and they are quite pliable – I use all 5. I know, sacrilege on a Floyd, right? Well, whatever, they feel fine to me. I mostly do light/medium vibrato, some diving and Jeff Becky type stuff, it's fine for that.

For more Eddie type stuff, I have another guitar with three springs (don't know what they are, they came with the trem) and tuned to Eb.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have used the Floyd Rose extra strength springs to replace the crappy ones on my Indonesian and Chinese guitars (including Ibanez) where 3 springs from the factory wouldn’t exactly return to zero, Worked like a charm. I’ve noticed when I removed the factory springs, many were deformed. Just cheap metal.

2 of those Extra strength springs may be enough. If not put in a third. I run 10’s on my Strats and on a couple of shredders. Never needed more than 3. I have never gone down to just two though. Probably worth trying.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on how I use the trem. On my main guitar I do have the Raw Vintage ones, and they are quite pliable – I use all 5. I know, sacrilege on a Floyd, right? Well, whatever, they feel fine to me. I mostly do light/medium vibrato, some diving and Jeff Becky type stuff, it's fine for that.

For more Eddie type stuff, I have another guitar with three springs (don't know what they are, they came with the trem) and tuned to Eb.
Thanks for the info! I’m leaning toward the raw vintage.

I have used the Floyd Rose extra strength springs to replace the crappy ones on my Indonesian and Chinese guitars (including Ibanez) where 3 springs from the factory wouldn’t exactly return to zero, Worked like a charm. I’ve noticed when I removed the factory springs, many were deformed. Just cheap metal.

2 of those Extra strength springs may be enough. If not put in a third. I run 10’s on my Strats and on a couple of shredders. Never needed more than 3. I have never gone down to just two though. Probably worth trying.
So you’re running 2 extra strength with 10s for the most part, and it feels lighter than 3 regular?

Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts