Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the hardware (screws) that mount the neck to the body of a tilt joint heel RG are different to the ones for the square heel models eg. Pre AANJ RG470.

I'm pretty sure the location of the holes are the same but are the screws different lengths and the heads angled according to the tilt?

Hope this makes sense. Reason I ask is i have a 92 RG470 with a superb neck and am considering a nicer body like an earlier generation Jem or simar vintage RG550+ to attach the neck to.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
I believe that the treble side screws are shorter, if you use the same length screws on a tilt heel, they’ll come through the fretboard.

I’ve never actually tried the swap you’re about to try, so I don’t know for sure, but take care in case I’m right!

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
They're the same as an AANJ, back pair become the high side, front are the short ones, they're 35 and 40mm overall length although they've never used near enough screw length as they should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info. Just one final question. Apart from the mixed length screws, is there anything else required like special washers, ferrules, neck plate or spacers to ensure the screws go straight up or is the heel tilt angle a non issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a sweet old RG570 body to replace the emerald green body on my beloved RG470. I also ordered black knobs and pickup rings to give it the full Wesley Snipes treatment. All I need now is those shorter AANJ mounting screws mentioned earlier in the thread and jack cavity cover and I'm in business. Wouldn't mind an Ibanez machined neck plate if I can find one.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.