Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently put in a second hand neck Dimarzio Gravity storm and felt the wiring and soldering went OK.

After the second day of using everything was fine and it sounded good until I started being rigerous with the selector switch. Then a medium volume squeal started being output by the new neck pickup. When I move the entire guitar from horizontal to vertical positions the squeal comes and goes however it’s mostly there all the time.

When I play the strings (and entire songs) the squeal is not present in the output.The squeal is only present when the strings are fully muted.

I looked at the wiring again and everything seems in order. (I also put on new metal pickup coversthe day I wired the Dimarzio Gravity storm in).

Any suggestions on solving this issue?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

I recently put in a second hand neck Dimarzio Gravity storm and felt the wiring and soldering went OK.

After the second day of using everything was fine and it sounded good until I started being rigerous with the selector switch. Then a medium volume squeal started being output by the new neck pickup. When I move the entire guitar from horizontal to vertical positions the squeal comes and goes however it’s mostly there all the time.

When I play the strings (and entire songs) the squeal is not present in the output.The squeal is only present when the strings are fully muted.

I looked at the wiring again and everything seems in order. (I also put on new metal pickup coversthe day I wired the Dimarzio Gravity storm in).

Any suggestions on solving this issue?
I ran into this issue before with a project guitar. Sounds exactly the same. Make sure your pickup is grounded. I know you said you've checked the wiring, but grab a multimeter and check the pickup for continuity between the pickup and your bridge. (At least for me my pickups are grounded by the bridge). The fact that the scream goes away when you mute the strings probably means your bridge is the ground as well, and your pickup is not connected. Some pickups have slightly different wiring/wire colors so its easy to make mistakes :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts