Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am actually building two of them right now. They should be done in a week or two. One is a LB/Maple 550 and the other is a JB with a maple 550 neck on a 570 body with a pickguard added. I may sell one of them, I really don't need both but I got the itch... :)

WELL worth doing. I sell the pickguards and I am putting in a set of Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 2.2s which is great for these.

Eric
[email protected]
www.ericsguitars.com

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Actually, I'm doing one myself also;) I have a Pink 97 550 w/Maple fretboard that I ordered a SSS pickguard for. Going to drop an HS3 in the bridge and a YJM in the neck:D It just occured to me that I had never seen one and it seems like a desireable mod so here we go.. I also have a 1550 which is better than my 550 so I'll still have an original configuration to play.. I'm really looking forward to it:D

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
i've got RG 1550 black , maple neck, converted to H-S only with Tone zone on the bridge, Chopper on the neck.
Refinish the body with olympic white, white pearl custom pickguard, sanding down the headstock into natural and apply a new ibanez prestige decals ( black). picture coming soon..

overall the tone is just like ordinary Rg, only different in look.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey there,

Things took a turn for the busy so mine won't be done until next week sometime. I sold off the JB so the one I am working on is the Laser Blue 1991 550, maple neck. One is enough I guess. :) I'll post pics when it's done. Yes, 250Ks going into it.

How is yours coming along, Axeslinger? You have pics?

---------------------
Eric
[email protected]
www.ericsguitars.com

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

I'm converting the Pink one to SSS..It was Black like the 1550, I just completed refinishing to Fluorescent Pink.. Bad pic trust me.. It really looks sharp in person:D

I have the pickups (HS3 and a YJM) as well as the pots.. I ordered the pickguard from Pickguard Heaven a couple weeks ago. It was to be cut today so I guess it'll be next week before I see it. I'm really looking forward to this lil experiment.. This seems like one that could turn out real well,,or real bad;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah,, I have 250ks sitting here ready to go. I've always been a Malmsteen fan and like the sound of the YJM & HS3... The 1550 has been the most pleasant suprise of any guitar I've purchased in 25 years.. I bought it from Guitar Trader on closeout for a killer price because I'm a sucker for Maple fretboards.. It has become my #1 out of 15 instruments.. I can't for the life of me understand why this line was discontinued.. The neck is considerably thinner than the 97-550..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Axeslinger said:

I'm converting the Pink one to SSS..It was Black like the 1550, I just completed refinishing to Fluorescent Pink.. Bad pic trust me.. It really looks sharp in person:D

I have the pickups (HS3 and a YJM) as well as the pots.. I ordered the pickguard from Pickguard Heaven a couple weeks ago. It was to be cut today so I guess it'll be next week before I see it. I'm really looking forward to this lil experiment.. This seems like one that could turn out real well,,or real bad;)
How did you paint it? Ive got a nasty black RG that needs painting and I was thinking a flourescent color would be killer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have no prior refinishing experience then I recommend you get an e-book by John Gleneicki that will take you through the process in easy to understand terms. Be prepared to have a little time invested. Its not a proces you can do in a couple days and do right. I let my body and headstock cure for 6 weeks after painting..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just pulled my SSS pickguard and pups out of my 550 and reinstalled the original setup.. Wayyyyy too little sustain no matter how I tweaked it with the HS3 and YJM..

Oh well,, it seemed like a good idea at the time:(

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey guys,

Man, sorry to hear you don't like it. I have the Virtual Vintage 2.2s in there and it really is nice. I have to say that these are better than I expected.

Here are a couple pics finally. I will end up either refinishing it natural/tung oil or I may put an old Jem body on it instead.

BTW, if you're interested in selling the pink one shoot me a PM. I have another guy that wants an SSS after playing mine. :)

Peace. -= Eric

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.