Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I decided to order some new pickups for my Genesis RG550. This guitar will be used almost exclusively for classic metal covers (Dio, Ozzy, Scorpions, etc). I went with a PAF 36th in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge. For the middle however, I went with a Chopper. I was going to go with a True Velvet but decided for this guitar I did not care at all about having any 2nd/4th position "quack" (I have a strat for that). I was thinking that on this guitar I'd rather have another humbucker-like pup in the middle for some more high gain options.

I realize with standard wiring (unless I get a push/pull or a toggle) that in positions 2/4 I'll have 2 humbuckers on at once (As the Chopper is a stacked single coil/noise cancelling). I am wondering if I made a mistake by ordering the Chopper instead of a true single coil? I have never played a guitar setup this way. In my desire to make this guitar a fire breathing dragon, it sounded good in the moment. Does anyone have any experience with a single coil-sized humbucker in the middle on their RG? Will I be able to get good usable tones (I know this is subjective) with this configuration in positions 2/3/4? I'm curious to hear from anyone who has a similar setup. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
it should be fine. Back a number of years ago dimarzio made the multibucker which consisted of a fast track and chopper put together to make one humbucker sized pickup.

I had one at one point and it was pretty cool.

it isn't uncommon to have the setup you are going to have. You can still split the stacked single coil to have a true single coil. having a stacked single coil gives you more flexibility in the end. You can use either "coil" if you want a true single coil. you can wire the stacked in parallel to cut a little power and brighten it up. You can reverse the polarity to get in phase or out of phase in position 2 or 4.

Anyway, my point is you should be fine assuming you like the tone of the pickup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it should be fine. Back a number of years ago dimarzio made the multibucker which consisted of a fast track and chopper put together to make one humbucker sized pickup.

I had one at one point and it was pretty cool.

it isn't uncommon to have the setup you are going to have. You can still split the stacked single coil to have a true single coil. having a stacked single coil gives you more flexibility in the end. You can use either "coil" if you want a true single coil. you can wire the stacked in parallel to cut a little power and brighten it up. You can reverse the polarity to get in phase or out of phase in position 2 or 4.

Anyway, my point is you should be fine assuming you like the tone of the pickup.
Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I didn't do something stupid. I'm gong to have it wired for full humbuckers in each position. If I need to get stratty I have guitars for that. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts