Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
With the advent of modern PAs, onstage monitoring etc, the original reason for having a stack is no longer valid, so you could argue that they are outdated, but........

A stack looks utterly rock and roll, and there is nothing quite like the fun you get from a stack at trouser flapping volume, both of which mean they still have their place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think they're on their way to being so with amp modelers becoming better and better. Alot of those still don't sound 100% authentic (to me) though, and still can't truly beat the sound of a cranked tube circuit.

My "signature" distortion sound comes from Amplitube 3 :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A stack looks utterly rock and roll, and there is nothing quite like the fun you get from a stack at trouser flapping volume, both of which mean they still have their place.

True, but Rush had that problem when they downsized, so they got a bunch of washing machines and chicken cookers instead!

Also the amp modelling is steadily becoming better, but the sounds from most 1x12, 2x12s is great anyway, and since volume isn't an issue anymore neat little combo's/Laptops are becoming the way forward!

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Also the amp modelling is steadily becoming better, !
Better?!
To me they all sound like crap COMPARING to real amps.
I played and recorded probably with all well known modellers and I hate them.
I just tried those new pod hds.GOOD LORD always the same dead digital tones which have nothing to do with a tube amp.
Nothing.
The majority of people(99%) who claim they sound like a real amp NEVER had those amps modellers claim to emulate.
I saw so many saying hey I get a perfect mesa boogie tone from my pod.
Yeah yeah when we listen to his tone = it sounds like a pod and not like a mesa boogie lol
For practicing and composing or even rehearsalling they are great tools but compared to real amps they sound like crap.
I'd never go to the stage with a modeller.
I always played a half stack or a full stack depending on the size of the venue.
I really love the sound of a 4X12 pushed hard by a tube amp,it screams beautiful positive harmonics!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Better?!
To me they all sound like crap COMPARING to real amps.
I played and recorded probably with all well known modellers and I hate them.
I just tried those new pod hds.GOOD LORD always the same dead digital tones which have nothing to do with a tube amp.
Nothing.
The majority of people(99%) who claim they sound like a real amp NEVER had those amps modellers claim to emulate.
I saw so many saying hey I get a perfect mesa boogie tone from my pod.
Yeah yeah when we listen to his tone = it sounds like a pod and not like a mesa boogie lol
For practicing and composing or even rehearsalling they are great tools but compared to real amps they sound like crap.
I'd never go to the stage with a modeller.
I always played a half stack or a full stack depending on the size of the venue.
I really love the sound of a 4X12 pushed hard by a tube amp,it screams beautiful positive harmonics!
Well programmed, high end stuff like the Axe FX can sound superb, and any differences are well and truly lost once you are playing live with a band. You may prefer a "real" amp, but to say they are crap is a somewhat sweeping statement.

In any case, there is nothing to stop you driving a full stack with a modeller and power amp, as I have done for many gigs.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
I, but one day, modellers will be better sounding than the originals.
Nope never.
Modellers will always sound like modellers,tube amps like tube ampos,pedals like pedals etc.
Unless they all have the same parts they will never sound the same.
Even 2 amps with same brand and model sometimes sound different,I had 4 triaxis and they all sounded a little different,one used to be more bassy,another one used to have more gain etc.

Things sound like themselves and not like other things UNLESS they have the same parts.
So people are stupid for buying 2000 awesome mesa boogies which sound like heaven instead of buying a 200 dollars pod which has the same mesa sound.
Nonsense.

·
Registered
858 Posts
With the advent of modern PAs, onstage monitoring etc, the original reason for having a stack is no longer valid, so you could argue that they are outdated, but........

PAs always ruined the sound for me. You are pushing a great tube tone through (generally) an inexpensive not-too-hi-fi solid state amp and then through (usually) [email protected] speakers. The best sound is coming right from the guitar or bass speaker cab. By far the best sounds I've ever heard were in smaller clubs without any PA at all. As God intended. :wink:

But we have to remember that most musicians don't have or make a lot of money, so it's more economical for them to maybe go the modeling route and just plug into a PA to save money. Nothing wrong with that, but is it the best tone? No. I say the stack still rules. Better yet, make it a mixture of Marshalls, Mesas and Diezels - about 4 of each and then you are talking!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Nope never.
Modellers will always sound like modellers,tube amps like tube ampos,pedals like pedals etc.
I'm with 6fingers, modelers will never sound "better" than the originals because of cost and technology restrictions. They can (and do) choose a certain aspect(s) to model, but they do not model every aspect of the device. That would take countless hours and the technology would be prohibitively expensive. Will it get better and better? Of course.

Let's take a Mesa Dual Rectifier tube amp - if you take 10 different players, they are each most likely going to dial in a different "ideal" sound for them. But the manufacturer of the modeler can't efficiently model everything, so a modeler might sound the "same" as the real thing to one guy and 9 other guys can't even get close to their tone.

The cool thing about most modelers is that they are pretty inexpensive (except for the Axe-FX) and let you mess around with many different sounds. Most people can't afford to have multiple amps and just want to screw around noodling in their homes, and for that, modelers are a good solution. But do they really come close to the tone of a tube Marshall, or Orange, or Mesa? Not to me, and I was just playing one for a while the other day.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
I think most people who have tried the Axe-FX is positive that it sounds good. Whether or not you think it sounds like a '65 Fender does not really matter. Good tones are good tones.
Yes it matters if somebody wants exactly that amp tone.
So paying so much for something which claims it will give you it but it can't is a waste of money.
For someone who can't buy real amps,is a bedroom player or don't care about real amps tones Axe fx is still expensive so for its price it should be closer to what it claims but it's not.

If I payed that much for something that says it'll give me all those real amps tones,it has to give me otherwise it's BS.
If I payed that much for a modeller only to get good tones(like you said),I'm dumb cause other modellers aren't so far away of axe fx tones,at least not so far away which could explain its high price.

Everything is about personal tastes but paying that much for a modeller that has "good tones" to me is nonsense.
You can get good tones from pods and boss stuff but with affordable and honest prices.
Till today I make my gt10 sounds better than any axe fx recorded stuff I heard/saw in the net,so far my samples are better from everything I heard/saw and how much is a gt10?
Tomorrow there'll be an ultrapod which everybody will claim it's better than axe fx,then the bionic gt20 etc etc.
Endless nonsense.
A musician just want a guitar,an amp and......make music.Of course you can combine different tones and effects to create something more complex but still the root of the majority of all songs is just an acoustic guitar lol

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Yes it matters if somebody wants exactly that amp tone.
So paying so much for something which claims it will give you it but it can't is a waste of money.
You just said yourself that one amp will sound differently to 10 different people. ;)

For someone who can't buy real amps,is a bedroom player or don't care about real amps tones Axe fx is still expensive so for its price it should be closer to what it claims but it's not.
Currency dependant. It's not that expensive. Many big bands use them in studio, and I'm quite sure they are happy with the results. OK, studiotime is often expensive so speeding up the process would mean cheaper recording. At the same time, most big bands got all the time in the world (at least 12 hours extra for an album) just to tweak sounds - and they will be able to borrow just about any amp they want. This to me says the Axe-FX is more than good enough to replace amps. You have probably heard Meshuggah (at least some Ibanez reference!). :)

Other than that, I agree it's not needed. Judging by the samples you hear on the Internet is not the best way. Play one yourself, open your mind. ;) Hey, I've heard that said before! :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.