Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey frank told me to do some research on stainless steel frets so i know what i'm getting my self into. I figured this forum would be as good a place to start as anywhere. Has anyone ever played an axe with stainless steel frets? Is the tone as good/better? Do they last longer? I'd appreciate input from all who have experience. This whole thing came about when I told my friend I'd switched to stainless steel strings. He said that the stainless steel string have great tone (which they do) but have a tendancy to wear down frets quicker. I figured a guitar with stainless steel frets would stand up to that a little better. Sorry for the lengthy post but I'd like to find out as much as I can before i send one of my guitars in for a refret

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
my ibanez usrg30 has dunlop 6105 frets they are nickel, which is simular to stainless, but yes nickle and stainless frets are all they are cracked up to be. They last a long time and they dont wear as easily, meaning play on the guitar stays good, because you dont have dead spots or anything thing else associated with fret wear, near as soon as other "Softer" fret metals.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
All electric guitar frets I know of are nickel silver (no silver in them really, that's just what they call the alloy) or stainless steel. They're not really similar - stainless is harder. There IS variation in 18% nickel frets. There are different alloys, bigger ones can be harder, and you can work-harden them before installation. But none I've ever seen will match stainless. There may be variation in stainless alloys as well, so I guess I have to say I'm talking specifically about whatever Carvin uses on their necks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts