Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right so i bought this Hondo Deluxe 775 Star Shape guitar with the intention of doing it up and rocking out with it, but now I'm really not sure what to do with it.
It needs a re-fret cause the frets are extremely worn, fretboard doesn't look too good either >_<
Electrics just need a little cleaning up that's all.

My original plan was to get someone to build me a whole new neck for it, Reverse Jackson style with maple fretboard and custom inlays, but haven't really found anyone to do it for me.

So Help? :)
Here's a picture (its in 2 pieces atm)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A Warmoth on a Hondo? Yikes. I'd be more apt to get one of the Mighty Mite Jackson-Style necks. I just can't see putting an expensive neck on a cheapie guitar.
after that, I'd drop in a Floyd and have the guitar shot in either black or red.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah it looks like a warmoth-compatible neck pocket (or mighty mite) - but I'd measure it to be sure. I'd keep the colour though - pretty sweet! I'd think of upgrading the bridge too . . .

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys,

I think adding a Floyd Rose would be pretty tricky no?
As for the neck, warmoth looks really expensive >_< i'll check out Might Mite :)
Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That is a great looking body.
Definetly wipe your *** with the neck. Put a HOCKEY STICK headstock neck on it.
Add a good Humbucker. Change the pot and the wiring.

Lots of potential with that body.

Adding a Floyd Rose is gonna take a lot of work. You don't want to do it yourself, unless you are not afraid of destroying that body.
You may just try a standard bridge.

You can also find a Hockey neck over on E***, which could save you a considerable amount of money.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Well, it's already routed for a trem, thanks to the stock vintage fulcrum trem. You could do a non-recessed rather easily. Mostly a matter of locating, drilling, and pressing the posts in, properly.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh the Hockey neck idea sounds brilliant :)
I'll change the humbucker to an EMG 81 when all is done
I'm not very confident with drilling my guitars >_<
Well.....i might just sell this and let someone else do the work that's needed :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
if you're going to install a new neck on it, why don't you do a little homework and try refretting it yourself? If you mess it up...no big deal right? Could be a chance to learn a little something and fret wire isn't that expensive. I allways feel it's better to use an original neck rather than take your chances of a newer one fitting correctly.
JMO, good luck either way it should be a fun project

1 - 9 of 9 Posts