Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im travelling to Buenos Aires next week and I came across a Starfield Cabriolet JS LTD on an argentininan auction site (the semihollow "tele" one with the birds eye mnaple top, in red). Of course I couldnt resist and bought it. :lol:

I think this is the only high end Starfield that wasnt made in the USA. Sombedoy knows why? Has something to do with its semihollow construction?

Ive always loved this guitar. I think it looks much better than the solidbody one (the one Richie Kotzen used to play). It has off set dots ala 3120 as inlays.

It has Seymour Duncan pups, but I dont know wich ones. Any Clue?

Anyone has one of this? Prices?

This will be my 11th guitar and my Ibanez number 8. I think I completely lost my mind. :wink:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'm 99.9% certain that NONE of the Starfields were actually "made" in the USA. Well...no more than the Ibanez USA Custom Graphic series was.

"Assembled in the USA" is a bit more accurate ;)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Boy, the Hoshino folks sure liked to name product lines ending in "...field".

Artfield... Ibanez's attempt at a 'boutique' guitar line.

Heartfield... Ibanez building guitars for Fender. Go figure.

Starfield... I'm not sure how to describe these. Another Ibanez 'boutique' line, only a bit more funky and retro.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think they were asembled in the US, or even routed in the US, but the body parts were provided from Japan. Im not sure though.

What I m 100% sure is that the Starfield Cabriolet SJ LTD was entirely made in Japan. It doesnt has the seymour duncan pups, but it has a sweet birdseye maple top. This guitars are not really collectable, but from what I read, this particular model is one of the most sought after (probably for the looks, since it is one of the most accomplished designs I ve ever seen).

IMHO the Cabriolet is to the Tele, the same the RG is to the stratocaster. Its a kind of "supertele". I like the looks of the Cabriolet SJ LTD better than the american Cabriolet, but the american has some better features (seymour duncan pups, and ebony fretboard).

If everything goes right, I shoud be getting it on sunday or monday. :wink:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ve already sold it. In fact I sold it 24hs after I bought it. The fact is that when I arrived to Bs As I learned I had no amp (long story), and the guitar wasnt that great IMHO (it wasnt bad at all, but I needed an amp). I sold it for the same money I payed, so it was fair enough.

I bought a Laney stack (GH120 with a 4x10 cabinet). Not the greatest amp on earth, but it serves it purpose. I really wanted a solid state amp since I use a lot of processors, so I dont care that much for valve distorsion. There are much better solid state amps.... but I was in a budget this time. I may keep it though, its a pretty good amp for the money. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts