Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a guitarist that's been playing for several years now, although I know little of the hardware aspects of my guitar. I took my guitar to the only local shop that does repairs to have them fix a buzz in my bass strings (E A & D). This was about 2 years ago. I also got married around that time and haven't picked up my guitar since then.

I'm wanting to get back into playing and noticed that not only did the tech not get rid of the buzz in the strings, but now my tremolo system is locked. (I would have checked it more carefully, but was pre-occupied with other more pressing matters at the time.) Another shop recently opened, but employs the same tech (he works at both places!). He's messed up other guitars of mine in the past that I had to fix, and now I'm asking for your help please.

I need some direction on how to re-setup my guitar. It is an Ibanez RG-370-DXL. Yes, it's left handed. How do I eliminate the string buzz? How do I adjust the springs so my tremolo works again. I want to be able to do some deep bends like Satriani and Vai as I enjoy playing their music the most. Is there a resource that will show me how to do these things?

Which is best to start with? Tremolo first, then the string buzz? Are there other things that also need consideration?

I am an intelligent person, and given the resources (and your help) I can definitely do this on my own. Please don't tell me to take it to a shop because they are completely incompetent in my area and I do not currently have the funds to ship my guitar out. In any case, I would really like to learn how to do these things myself.

Thank you very much and I'm anxiously awaiting to get my guitar back in peak shape.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Agreed, read that tutorial/guide as there is lots of great info on there. I am not familiar with the 370, but if it has one of the lower end ibanez tremolo's on it, like mine does, my experience was that the were difficult to stay in great tune for a wide range of pull ups and dives like the higher end edge, edge pro, zr ' s could. Rather than spend lots on upgrading the tremolo, I just blocked it so it was dive only, and now it's quite good. I can do big dives and it comes back well. Just something to consider

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
That's a huge let down. I thought I was getting a high-quality product when I bought my guitar back then.
Rich's setup guide has a serious wealth of information!
It isn't a great trem, but I am pretty sure that if you follow Rich's tutorial you can still get it well set up.

Clearly you need to not send stuff to that tech if you have had issues in the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.