Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been practicing daily. Barre Chords in Drop C, triplets, alternate picking, downpicking, off-time, arpeggios, and pentatonic scales.

I drive at 55 till I develop the muscle memory, then I push the pedal to the floor. When I can play something, note for note, without screw ups, I shove the pedal through the floor, as I believe, and will always believe that Accuracy > Speed.

So after a few months of "knocking the rust off," and after YEARS of being a rhythm player, I feel like the next logical step in progression and my learning curve would be working on soloing, or soloing methods.

Where did you guys start off? What would you suggest as a good solo to learn? I'm a metal /rock type guy, and I keep hearing about "Sweet Child of Mine..."

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
To me, nothing beats playing over a rhythm track, preferably one with drums. Create or aquire a clip (if aquired, learn the key) and begin to play over it. Create melodies with your soloing. Start simply and slowly, and make sure the notes are in time and in key.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Scales and experimentation, I started with stuff way past my level but eventually I got it. But then again scales/theory I've been doing for 17years now and I was born into a musician family with some natural ear skill/talent so I started with some idea of what to do.

But determination will work through anything even if you have a pure crap ear for music. Also Im not saying you need 17 years of theory to do solos haha. Just learn the idea of what a scale is and learn the relations. Nothing is better then learning relations vs just memorizing a bunch of crap, same goes for most things in life, like math.

Again experimentation is key when learning even just one scale, the relations will start to make sense over the chords/changes and since you have been doing rhythm for awhile it won't be bad for you I think. therightjem basically said the same thing without saying the word "experimentation" haha.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
lol sorry! Math is sorta my thing since Im finishing an econ degree soon and elect. engineering soon after (hopefully, did econ first since fulltime eng. is hard with my migraines) heh.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Try the solo to Money by Pink Floyd. It's an easy one and uses a sliding blues scale, which is very versatile and gets you used to playing up and down the neck.

Like someone said, get a simple chord progression (like the one in Money) with a bass and drum track and just mess around with playing that blues scale over it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'll add one more suggestion that was beneficial to me. Learn scales in three note per string pattens. The Guitar Grimoire series offers a scale book that shows all scales in three note per string patterns in all positions.

Start by learning one scale everywhere on the fretboard. Practice and play only in that scale for some time. Over time, you will become comfortable with it, and playing in that key will become second nature.

·
Registered
482 Posts
learn solos you like, or the parts of solos you like, or cool guitar riffs from as many bands you like.
Eventually you'll start putting things together your own way from what you've learned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since you're a rhythm player of year I assume you know which chords are played in a groove. Try to find nice ways to play the notes in those chords on different places on the neck. In this way your solo can move nicely with the progression. Once you have an ear for this, the scales are also easier to recognise and learnt.
Also learning solo's from song you like are a good exercise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try to think about it like you wanna tell a story.If you fire everything off in the first 30 seconds,your dead.But if you start slowly,and then build on it,and end with something spectacular like a fast tapping section or legato line, or something else that finish the solo,its a good start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts