Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never really took much notice of Steve Lukather till now.
You may have seen this already but i dont care.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Yeah very good indeed! I saw him a few times and always fascinate me, but seriously I don't think he's better than Mr vai nor Mr Vai is better than him ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I never liked the player A is better than player B comparisons. How do you measure better than when it comes to music? Music is about emotion and feeling - two very subjective terms which are hard to quantify.

To me, if you're going to compare players in this manner, you have talk specifics - better technically, plays faster, better sweep technique, better right hand technique, better legato technique, better tapping technique, etc.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Then let's talk specifics. Vai is better technically, plays faster, has better sweep technique, better right hand technique, better legato technique, better tapping technique, etc.

:)

By the way, I'm not a huge Vai fan like some of the members here, just calling it as I see it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if your talking technique, that video of Luke stands up against most things Vai has done. I love Vai but when i saw a few videos of Luke i was amazed. He writes classic solo's that we all remember and solo's that just blow others away. Totally underated player imo.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to see vai in a proper band situation again. His solo work is a bit too repetitive sometimes for me. His playing with Roth and Whitesnake really showcased his full ability.
Maybe Luke and Vai should do an album together. Add Satch and you've got a G3 album!

·
Registered
839 Posts
There good friends actually. I enjoy Vai more than Luke...but Lukather is a very, very accomplished player and Steve has repeatedly stated how amazed he was by how good Luke is.
Vai did a lot of production etc. work on the No Substitutions album from Favored Nations which boots Larry Carlton and Steve Lukather live in Osaka and actually won a Grammy. It's just about the best sounding live album I've ever heard.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm... OK. If that's the case, then I'm as good as Vai too, because the solo that Luke played on that video sounds very, very average.
Whatever mate. You keep telling yourself your as good as Vai. Stick your head back up your @rse pal.

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
The "who is better" threads are pointless. The world is full of technically proficient players who can't write a song to save their lives. I care more about how it sounds, than how hard it is to play.

I would rather listen to Nirvana than Malmsteen.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Whatever mate. You keep telling yourself your as good as Vai. Stick your head back up your @rse pal.
LMAO!

Dude, if you try reading again you'll see that I never said I'm as good as Vai, I said that if you guys consider Luke as good as Vai based on THAT SOLO, then I guess I'm as good as Vai too. And please, drop the insults, they are unnecessary and if you have a problem with me, send a PM and we'll go at it properly.

OK, let's be honest -- the solo that Steve Lukather played in that video was a rather simplistic, e-minor effort that shouldn't be too much trouble for anyone with a small amount of experience to pull off.

Sometimes I wonder about this threads??? :roll:
Me too bud. :roll:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, Luke is as good as Vai. Hes as good as Gilbert and better than Malmsteen. He can sing, write killer songs and write drop dead solos.
And if your fed up with threads like these, dont respond to em. Some people actually appreciate that ive posted that video cos they might not have seen it.
Half of this site is based on talk of who is better than who.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The "who is better" threads are pointless. The world is full of technically proficient players who can't write a song to save their lives. I care more about how it sounds, than how hard it is to play.

I would rather listen to Nirvana than Malmsteen.
Malmsteen is an infinitely better songwriter in a musical sense than Cobain.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.