Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what guitars Steve Vai used before he endorsed Ibanez? What guitars did he use when he was playing in Alcatrazz, David Lee Roth and Frank Zappa? I can't find any information about it. Also, have Steve Vai always used DiMarzio pickups?
Any information will be very appreciated, I really dig his sound before the Passion And Warfare album :smile:

But Passion And Warfare is killer too! But we all know that he used the 7 stringed Ibanez and DiMarzio and lots of Cry Baby and floating trem tricks :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
He played a Charvel Strat at some point. Green meenie, it's a pretty famous guitar. Gotta wonder if that thing still see's any play time or it's retired forever. I know he played a few Jackson San Dimas era guitars. The one from Crossroads is a Chandler though. I was told he briefly endorsed them, but I can't find anything online to authentic that claim. Finally, he did play a few guitars from Performance parts that he put up together after all of his guitars were stolen. Eventually, performance would have Joe Despagni make him a few guitars, including the Flame guitar he played with David Lee Roth (you can see it in Going Crazy)

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
As I understand things,

Steve's first "real" guitar was a 1978 Fender Strat which he modified extensively, he later "acquired" a Charvel which was origianlly sunburst but later he himself painted green and which became the highly modified "Green Meanie". There were numeous other guitars such as a Jackson Soloist allegedly used on "Ladies Night in Buffalo for a high F# in the solo" as well as numerous "Performance" guitars a shop in Hollywood (see Tom Morello's "Arm the Homeless" guitar for another famous Performance example). I understood that Steve also assembled these himself and certain routed the monkey grips. There was also a Tom Anderson from a deal that allegedly "almost" happened and then the JEM arrived.

There's tons of useful info on Steve's guitars on his own website in the "Machines" section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts