Ibanez JEM Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so lately every single day I think about Steve Vai and his music. My two best friends and I (their names are both Brandon) totally IDOLIZE Steve Vai!!! I was riding the bus to school and staring at my binder (where I placed quotes from Steve Vai, pictures of this past weekend, pictures of Brandon's UNIVERSE and the other Brandon's JEM!!!), etc.... "For the Love of God" was blasting in my ears... That song makes my stomach ache, because it's sooo powerful and BRINGS such emotion into my .. soul!!!! If he knew what a great influence he was in the lives of these kids, what do you think HE would think?? I'm sure that lots of people on this site had heroes when they were 15, just like Steve Vai is my hero. I fantasize DAILY about meeting him AGAIN, seeing him FRONT ROW at a concert.... With all his hair blowing in the wind, and beautiful EVO!! And just... Wow, this probably doesn't make any sense... I'm tired...

But Steve Vai is TOTALLY AMAZING in EVERY SINGLE WAY!! And he was on VH1 today!! Commenting on Jimi Hendrix!!

Anyways... :oops:

Wow.

Steve Vai is my HERO!

~ Katrina :D

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
somebodys got a crush hahah just kidding..

I totally looked up to this guy locally named Quinn Martin he was the reason I started playing. He was incredible and I only met him like 4 times but he played each time and I left there thinking this is what I want to do..

16 years later I still suck LMAO.. But I owe it all to him..

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yep. FTLOG is such a powerful song, especially when you watch the music video. Although Steve Morse is my current flavor of the week, Vai is still #1 in my book. Lotus Feet...*ahhhhhh*

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really look up to steve vai. I've only met him once, but one day i would like to jam out with him. I think that im the only 16 year old in my school that even knows who steve vai is unfortunately. It is good to hear that other young people are enjoying his music.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I think he's better than almost everyone except Holdsworth, but actually I think Guthrie is more versatile overall.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
but actually I think Guthrie is more versatile overall.
Yes Indeed! I listen to him playing cliff of dovers in guitar techniques mag and many other songs, and some other stuff he did for guitar techniques which fascinate me, he even transcribe em with great accuracy! Damn! I didn't get his new album yet :(

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Oh man, buy it immediately, Alfie! Do it now!

Yeah Guthrie Govan is a superb musician, but there is something about Vai that sets him apart from other guitarists.
I used to feel this way about Vai when I was younger. I'm sorry if that sounds patronising, I don't mean it like that, but my "crush" (for want of a better word) wore off completely after a while. I still like Vai, but his playing doesn't do a great deal for me these days. His posing and face pulling drives me up the wall, to be honest. My favourite Vai material is still Flex-able. I really dig his work on Skyscraper too.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Oh man, buy it immediately, Alfie! Do it now!
My dad have revoke the rights to use the credit card anymore :( WTH?! But then I keep on buying things online, even though he's not the one paying for the card, he's worried that I'll become an ass , so he took my credit card and keep it and he clears all the debt on my credit card :( and bank transfer is quite costly and not many accept bank transfers

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Yeah i think about him and his music everyday but all my friends hate him:(
Bollocks to that. A year back I was a complete Vai fanboy, then I sold my electric abd began to appreciate less complex and more conventional music. Don't get me wrong, I still listen to his songs regularly, but I just have come to like guitarists with simpler techniques (like Rick Nielsen and Bruce Springsteen).

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
How can you say that Guthrie is better than Vai? What exactly do you mean...?No disrespect to Guthrie (or to you), he is stunningly excellent- but without Steve Vai there would be no Guthrie.

Listen dude....you get Icons then you get the excellent players. I respect all the shredders and excellent players of this world (yes, from the 80s cheese-meisters to the guitar teachers at various academies around the world).

I respect genius. Which is what Steve is, he is unique.

Peace out...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.