Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just looked through my mail and saw that in this months Guitar magazine, the "Ask a Guitar Hero" segment is with Steve Vai. THought maybe a few people here would like to check it out.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH, he said it all right.
I agree completely with the Yngwie part, the Dimebag one caught me off guard thoughI never thought of him as a Vai, Satch, Yngwie etc type of player, but he is a bad mf in his own right.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I consider Dime to have been just as shreddy, if not more shreddy then vai. I mean, im a huge Dimebag fan (Only like maybe, 2-3 Vai songs.) and I don't see how you can say "walk" doesn't let Dime be compared to Vai... What about "Bad Horsie" That riff is as basic as they come.

I think Dimebag was way more shred then Vai, but if you think about it, Vai is right to say he isn't shred. I mean sure he has the chops, and he uses them, but I find that Vai's focus is more on his melodic parts of songs, and the shredding is added for impact. Dime on the other hand, was rarely about being melodic, and more about throwing it in your face and ripping it up. He definately was more focused on shred then Vai is.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
fyrie said:
A bazillion guys can "outshred" Vai, but not when it counts ;)
I would say Rusty Cooley, Greg Howe and John Petrucci could probably out shred Vai but I dont know.....He once said in an interview that he has a hard time playing like EJ or playing EJ's stuff. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.